Uh oh...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctoddrun

Reaction score
Not long ago, the other guitarist in my band traded his Triple for my Stiletto.

(My Mark IV has always been my amp of choice).

Well, today I got my first PRS delivered.

Think I'm going to be able to fend off becoming a NuMetal wanker with one finger power chords and no solos?

:wink:

I love wailing away on a 5 minute guitar solo (even though I suck! :shock: )!!

But sometimes I find myself drop tuning (at least a drop D) and chuggin' away! I don't play that type of music, but it's sometimes just fun to "feel" my amp and it's raw power for the "one finger power chord" chuggin' - chunkin' stuff.

Also on the other end, it's fun to grab my G&L ASAT (tele), dial in a crisp clean sound with just a bit of grit and start chickin'-pickin' and poping the strings too.

I can comprehend Van Halen, Steve Via & Satch and maybe even copy/steal a lick or two from them, but some of those country guys when they really start to getting with it just blow my mind :shock: . How can they be palying 3 different notes while walking the bass line and bending one of the notes at the same time and make it all sound good??

Ok, I just showed my bad side!! I love country, and we were talking about NU-Metal weren't we?? Sorry to change the subject.... I guess what I was trying to say is don't be afraid to mess around wiht it!! It's what keeps music fun, trying out different stuff. It doesn't mean you'll always play it but enjoy it while you have the stuff to do it with.

Try playing SlipKnot on a Fender Deluxe, and you'll know why I like jumping to the Modern mode and chunkin' from time to time. Or try playing a Line 6 (fender) and then see why I go the opposite way and play the country stuff on my nice tube amp.

I'll shut up now.....and let you get back to your thread you started!

tele_jas said:
But sometimes I find myself drop tuning (at least a drop D) and chuggin' away! I don't play that type of music, but it's sometimes just fun to "feel" my amp and it's raw power for the "one finger power chord" chuggin' - chunkin' stuff.

Try playing SlipKnot on a Fender Deluxe, and you'll know why I like jumping to the Modern mode and chunkin' from time to time. Or try playing a Line 6 (fender) and then see why I go the opposite way and play the country stuff on my nice tube amp.

theres a time and a place for just some simple grinding one finger power chords, just not on EVERY song on EVERY album :lol:

Uh oh, I guess I'm a "nu-metal wanker"! I have a few PRSi and a Dual Rectifier! :roll: So then, why did you choose a PRS? What model?

I have a SG, Strat, and LSS - what the heck does that make me?

Besides happy? ;)

Congratulations, Todd!

Me being one of those PRS/DR types myself, howzabout posting a few pics of the new guitar for me to drool over? :)

Old school Angus Young with a better tone

I totally have those legs to pull off the shorts convincingly!

I prefer a Derek Trucks comparison, though... even if my slide playing sucks :D

jbird said:
Uh oh, I guess I'm a "nu-metal wanker"! I have a few PRSi and a Dual Rectifier! :roll: So then, why did you choose a PRS? What model?

I've been eyeing PRS for years, but never felt compelled to pull the trigger.

I ordered a Tom Anderson with all the nice figured wood a while back, and since then had decided that guitars with figured tops are almost too pretty to play...

So I'm tooling around the Gear Page and a guy has a solid black custom 24 with birds and trem and natural maple binding and the price was right, so I went for it.

Sweet guitar. Way light and the pickups are HOT, it seems. Perfect for me, I think.

Anyway, me falling into the Triple was more of a favor to the second guitarist.

He has been HATING the effects loop on it and wanted my Stiletto (which I was selling anyway), so I swapped him for it.

I wont play it (the Triple) and dont need it at all, so it will be sold as soon as I can get some pics taken of it.

My post was just a joke... I mean, it seems like the PRS and Triple IS THE CHOICE of all the NuMetal bands.

I'm too old to dig on Slipknot and the ilk.

Give me Rush, Candlebox, Tool, BrotherCane, Van Halen ANYDAY over that stuff and I'll be a happy wanker.

redmax61 said:
Congratulations, Todd!

Me being one of those PRS/DR types myself, howzabout posting a few pics of the new guitar for me to drool over? :)

I'll get some pics taken soon, and get them up.

Its a very nice guitar. 2004 and not a scratch/ding on it.

When I was shopping for that guitar, I called Guitar Center and asked them to search the NATION for a guitar just like it (except I wanted 22 frets). NONE in stock. So I asked how long to have one built... 6 months AT LEAST (since the Singlecut is being produced again, it seems that PRS is putting all of their efforts into that model), and the guitar would cost somewhere around 2200.

I got this used one for 1400, shipped.

It was a good deal for me, especially considering that I had just sold a Hamer Artist Custom for 1200.

I have uderstood that a lot of people thought that Dual and Triple rectifiers
are amps designed to play only NU metal.It's not true!!!! In Europe a lot of power/speed/thrash metal bands like Blind guardian use this amp. Also guitar virtuoso Michael Angelo Batio uses rectifiers live and He doesn't play NU metal!!!!! Unfortunately dual and triple has become the choice for
bands that aren't able to play guitar,I don't want to spend bands names .
These amps are useless for bands that don't know any arpeggio or scale
but reduced their "technical" abilities to play single notes at high volumes,
their music is only fashion,nothing else.

I use my Tremoverb in my 2 bands...

***** One band is pure fun!! It's all the music I grew up and went to High School on (I graduated in 1990). We play Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrent, Brian Adams..... We also play quite a bit of 90s and some modern stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, Creed, Metallica, Maroon 5, Los Lonley boys, Hootie..... And then we'll throw in a new country song or two like Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bently or Tim McGraw.

***** Then in my side project band, I have with my lead singer from the above band.... We are mostly a Country original band! We do some new country covers too and a few old ones and of course some of the good rock songs that everyone wants to hear as they get a few beers in them.

I Use a Tremoverb in both situations with a little tweaking between the two shows and it is EXTREMELY Versatile! I can have the hardest most aggressive sound imaginable and then turn a round and have a (barf) great Lynard Skynard sound (Don't laugh, you know you all still have to play those songs!!!). Then cover the Brit sounds and the Fender cleans... The Recto isn't just a "Nu-Metal" amp, but it is the BEST "Nu-Metal" amp out there too and sometimes you cant pass up the chance to go chuggin'!!

My compliments,you're surely a good musician,but unfortunately today
there are too many bands that has given a bad name to rectifiers ,excuse me but I dislike NU metal bands. I have always listen to guitar virtuosos(Impellitteri,Malmsteen,Rusty Cooley,Paul Gilbert),technical thrash metal (great Josh Christian!!!!)and I appreciate very much classical music . But,these are my personal opinions,everyone has his own musical tastes.

I am lusting after a PRS too - the McCarty. A friend got one recently, and man oh man does it ever sing through the Lonestar Special. :shock:

Its a lot of money, but if I could have that tone for my very own - not to mention the playability and dynamite looks - it would be worth it.

Impellitteri

WOW, I haven't heard that name for 10 years or more!! They rocked!! I had all those tapes back then in my '75 camero... Cacaphony, Mr. Big, Y&T (intuition), all those guitar gods of the 80s.

My compliments,you're surely a good musician,
If you're talking to me, thanks, but you must not have heard me yet :D . I just do it for the sheer enjoyment of it! I like to think of myself as a slopster instead of a shredder.... I'm lucky to be in the band/bands I'm in today that let me do what I like to do. When it stops being fun, thats when I sell it all.

I'm happy you know these bands tele_jas !!!!!!!!! I think that in the
80's there were a lot of good musicians, I have stopped me in the 80's!!!
Good guitarists of the past and of the present(Marty Friedman,etc) are still alive with their music , long life to shredders!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back