Two Mark V's in Stereo!!! Yeah baby yeah!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
tonight I got to gig using two Mark V's in Stereo! Let me just tell you that this experience was unreal!!!

I was going thru two 4x12 recto cabs loaded with V30s! I was a very happy man!

Check it out!

Picture4-3.png

At soundcheck! I actually ended up using the Tele for the whole show!

Picture8.png

How do you like it with the V30s vs the MC-90s in the combos?

I'm finding I like the MC-90s more, but I like hearing other points of view.

screamingdaisy said:

Well to be honest it is hard for me to give a good comparison because my personal rig I rarely gig with when on the road with Arrested D. so I can't ever get a side by side comparison.

I tell you what though after today I really really wanted to order a cab with V30 for my personal rig! : )

I previewed your album "Strong"...do you often use high gain in your music? Just curious as to where the Mark V stands in the mix, there's a lot going on in your music, from vocals, to keyboards, etc. Maybe that's why you used the tele, to cut through the mix without the insane volume?

I also didn't see a pedal board in your posted picture.

What did you use for the studio album, mesa or a bunch of different amps?

Mark V's in stereo, that's a high dollar set up!

gummx97 said:
I previewed your album "Strong"...do you often use high gain in your music? Just curious as to where the Mark V stands in the mix, there's a lot going on in your music, from vocals, to keyboards, etc. Maybe that's why you used the tele, to cut through the mix without the insane volume?

Hey man! Thanks for checking out the album.

This newest album STRONG is actually the first one were higher gain stuff is used however actually I didn't have the Mark V when we recorded the album. For the album I used both a LSS and a LSC with various pedals for higher gain.

I really wished I had the Mark V while recording. Would have made things much easier and better sounding in my opinion but we did the best we could with what we had at the time.

Live using the Mark V's really help capture the energy! I been using the Strat more lately because it has noiseless pickups in it but I recently put noiseless ones in the Tele too and I am surprised at how good they sound.

The Tele does help cut more for sure! Sometimes I switch it up just for fun and or looks! : )

I did have a pedal board it was just further out from where I was standing.

I have recently downsized my pedalboard now that I am using the Mark V or sometimes Triple Rec for tours.

I no longer need as many overdrive and distortion pedals.

Now I just have a pedaltrain mini with a Vox Wah-Kord Pitchblack Tuner-OCD-Voodoo Lab Tremolo-Visual H20(Chorus/Delay)

That's what works for me right now.

Stereo rigs are fun! Are you actually splitting something between the two, ie chorus/delay?

jjboogie said:
gummx97 said:

Hey man! Thanks for checking out the album.

This newest album STRONG is actually the first one were higher gain stuff is used however actually I didn't have the Mark V when we recorded the album. For the album I used both a LSS and a LSC with various pedals for higher gain.

I really wished I had the Mark V while recording. Would have made things much easier and better sounding in my opinion but we did the best we could with what we had at the time.

Live using the Mark V's really help capture the energy! I been using the Strat more lately because it has noiseless pickups in it but I recently put noiseless ones in the Tele too and I am surprised at how good they sound.

The Tele does help cut more for sure! Sometimes I switch it up just for fun and or looks! : )

I did have a pedal board it was just further out from where I was standing.

I have recently downsized my pedalboard now that I am using the Mark V or sometimes Triple Rec for tours.

I no longer need as many overdrive and distortion pedals.

Now I just have a pedaltrain mini with a Vox Wah-Kord Pitchblack Tuner-OCD-Voodoo Lab Tremolo-Visual H20(Chorus/Delay)

That's what works for me right now.

Great! Thanks for the response. I suppose it's all about creativity and when your group is "on" for that night or session, it's just magic. Sometimes in hip hop (maybe more often than not), single coils are needed to cut through the mix since there's a lot of low frequencies going on. Once in a while, high-gain sound for accents here and there but maybe used sparingly as highlights.

I see that you simplified your set up, tiring to be breaking down all that stuff after playing for three hours.

Sorry to be picking your brain, but in your music, what type of chords do you usually use? I could imagine Dominant 7/9 or lots of altered dominant voicings. Do you use rootless chords too? Anyway, not to hijack your thread, it's just awesome to see Mark V's in stereo.

How do those noiseless pickups handle high-gain? I have a 57 reissue strat and I shudder at the thought of using that guitar for hi-gain stuff, that 60 cycle buzz really stands out in my mark 4. Unless, one is going for that effect... :twisted:

jjboogie said:
screamingdaisy said:

Well to be honest it is hard for me to give a good comparison because my personal rig I rarely gig with when on the road with Arrested D. so I can't ever get a side by side comparison.

I tell you what though after today I really really wanted to order a cab with V30 for my personal rig! : )

I'm with you , I love V30s, dont really care for C90s to be honest .

gummx97 said:
Great! Thanks for the response. I suppose it's all about creativity and when your group is "on" for that night or session, it's just magic. Sometimes in hip hop (maybe more often than not), single coils are needed to cut through the mix since there's a lot of low frequencies going on. Once in a while, high-gain sound for accents here and there but maybe used sparingly as highlights.

Actually I have been realizing that I might like to bring my Les Paul back out on the road because it sounds great clean and then for that high gain humbuckers just absolutely RIP!!! And they feel better too! At least to me!

I used to tour with my Les Paul until United Arab Emirates airlines broke the headstock! Made me switch back to Fenders for a while because of the their strait headstock of course I can get Fenders with Humbuckers too which I am considering as well.

I see that you simplified your set up, tiring to be breaking down all that stuff after playing for three hours.

Actually the breaking down part isn't that bad its the traveling with heavy stuff that kills you! Going in and out of airports and hotels. I got tired of lifting the heavy case with the bigger pedalboard. Plus I do really like using amp overdrives as opposed to pedals.

Sorry to be picking your brain, but in your music, what type of chords do you usually use? I could imagine Dominant 7/9 or lots of altered dominant voicings. Do you use rootless chords too? Anyway, not to hijack your thread, it's just awesome to see Mark V's in stereo.

We use ALOT of Minor 7th chords, Dominant 7 chords and Major 7th chords too. Nothing to out of the ordinary. There is one song we do only in certain asian markets that has a few weird chords. I actually don't even know what it is! LOL!!!

How do those noiseless pickups handle high-gain? I have a 57 reissue strat and I shudder at the thought of using that guitar for hi-gain stuff, that 60 cycle buzz really stands out in my mark 4. Unless, one is going for that effect... :twisted:

So far they are fine. I actually am impressed with the ones in my Tele...Vintage Noiseless sound awesome! The ones in my Strat are adequate but they don't excel! I prefer humbuckers for high gain but the noiseless pups get the job done for the most part. It is also a feel thing too. The single coils just don't feel as good.

@jjboogie

How did you find the combo on top of the 4x12? Any weird feelings or vibes? I mean aesthetically. Sound wise I doubt there's a difference.

I'm the owner of a combo, and looking for an extension cab...and your pics got me thinking. :twisted:

BTW "STRONG" = awesome stuff.

germangallardo said:
@jjboogie

How did you find the combo on top of the 4x12? Any weird feelings or vibes? I mean aesthetically. Sound wise I doubt there's a difference.

I'm the owner of a combo, and looking for an extension cab...and your pics got me thinking. :twisted:

When I first saw them I thought it was a little odd looking.........but I got used to them. I would have preferred heads but after one moment of doubt I realized how grateful I was to even have the Mark V period because most backline companies don't carry them yet.

It was my first time running the slave out of one into another. I ended up doing that so I can have the option of using ONE foot controller for one amp thru two 4x12 cabs.

I prefer heads but actually they wouldn't have been as tall looking either! : )

Yeah go for a 4x12 cab.......2x12 is great too! I have a 2x12 vertical cab for my personal rig. I would love to own a 4x12 again one day.

Thanks for the props on the new album.

You should sign up for our news letter and if we are coming to your town let me know I might be able to get into a show with a pass.

peace
JJ

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen. I'm extremely jealous! I thought one amp was my dream, you've reaffirmed I need two!

jjboogie said:
germangallardo said:
@jjboogie

When I first saw them I thought it was a little odd looking.........but I got used to them. I would have preferred heads but after one moment of doubt I realized how grateful I was to even have the Mark V period because most backline companies don't carry them yet.

It was my first time running the slave out of one into another. I ended up doing that so I can have the option of using ONE foot controller for one amp thru two 4x12 cabs.

Yeah go for a 4x12 cab.......2x12 is great too! I have a 2x12 vertical cab for my personal rig. I would love to own a 4x12 again one day.

You should sign up for our news letter and if we are coming to your town let me know I might be able to get into a show with a pass.

peace
JJ

Thanks for your comments, yeah I know it would look better with a head. But I just love this combo way too much to exchange it for a head, it's like with some guitars, you just have a right vibe with them. I could see ordering a second Mark V tho :)

I'll subscribe to the newsletter for sure! I'm already following ya on twitter.

Cheers!

germangallardo said:
jjboogie said:
germangallardo said:
@jjboogie

peace
JJ

Thanks for your comments, yeah I know it would look better with a head. But I just love this combo way too much to exchange it for a head, it's like with some guitars, you just have a right vibe with them. I could see ordering a second Mark V tho :)

I'll subscribe to the newsletter for sure! I'm already following ya on twitter.

Cheers!

Nothing wrong with keeping the good vibes! :mrgreen:

Didn't you have your own unique Mark V amp too? I think you had posted a picture on one of the threads, different color tolex. So when you used the stereo Mark V setup, dialing in your tone must've been fairly familiar.

gummx97 said:
Didn't you have your own unique Mark V amp too? I think you had posted a picture on one of the threads, different color tolex. So when you used the stereo Mark V setup, dialing in your tone must've been fairly familiar.

Yeah mine is the tan one and was the first tan Mark V Mesa had ever made! Suhweet!!!

And now that I had become familiar with the controls at soundcheck I knew exactly what I needed to do on the front and back of the amp! Dialed in my sound very quickly!

Count your blessings...

Making a living from doing what you really love...

Getting fabolous gear to boot!!! I think most of us envy you. Then again, the other side..."the grass is not always greener..." Am sure there are challenges in touring, recording, getting along with band mates, record label management.

gummx97 said:
Count your blessings...

Making a living from doing what you really love...

Getting fabolous gear to boot!!! I think most of us envy you. Then again, the other side..."the grass is not always greener..." Am sure there are challenges in touring, recording, getting along with band mates, record label management.

Very much so! It can be over anytime. I am truly grateful to be able to do this. It is a dream come true really.

There are certainly times and moments when you ask yourself if its worth it but when you get on stage in front of 9 to 45,000 people screaming that's when you say "Yeah this is worth it!" : )

I'm so glad I saw this post. So... unlike many on this board, I don't play a tremendous amount of metal. I'm looking for something really versatile. The band that I play in, plays everything from funk/hip-hop, to pop/top-40, to punk-ish, rock/hard rock, with the occasional metal-ish type thing (chevelle, RATM, Linkin Park, etc). Nothing hard-core/death/etc).

So far, it seems like the Mark V will fit the bill. Am I right or should I be looking at something else?

Latest posts

Back