Turned of FX loop on roadster,guess i'll be selling some fx!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackman

Reaction score
I'd read the posts about turning off the fx system on the roadster and its effect on the overall tone, but i'd always just used it with the master volume for convenience (plus i use delay and an eq), turned it off today for the first time, wow, talk about clarity! someone else said its like taking a blanket off the amp, i'm re-thinking my pedal board now!

yep.
thats a MAJOR flaw of that amp in my opinion.

the roadster is a great idea, but i think they still need to make some imporvments in ch 3 and 4 as well as the reverb, fx loop, etc.

As an owner of a brand new Roadster, this was one of the first flaws I found. It definitely takes a while between flaws to find anything, though. 8)

I hope I will be able to work it out because delay and sometimes pre-EQ takes a pretty big part in a lot of my stuff. Once I polish up a room for mixing, I will post some clips of my music recorded with my Roadster/4x12. I might also do some A/B's with FX loops on/off.

Overall, I really like the amp, but I wonder if I should have just spent a little more for the further opportunities the Road King presents (I'm not sure if the RK has the FX loop problem as well).

i'll probably still use the fx loop gigging, with the 10-band eq in the loop it just kills, but for pure tone heaven at home and practice, it's fx loop out!

I agree that the amp is best with hard bypass on......tones make me salivate...but I use a gmajor in loop and keeley stomps bd,ds1, comp in front. I thought I had these tweaked in well. I just flipped the hard by pass in one day and SHEEZAAM the difference was amazing. But after an hour of riffing and wondering how I could still use my fx I decided to use the bypass tone as a benchmark and tweak the loop to get as close as possible. A couple hours later i had it to the point that in or out of bypass the tone was almost identical..just a bit more noise and maybe 5% less definition in tone...so for gigging that is close enough for rock and roll :lol:

I spent almost an hour last night unsuccessfully trying to make my bandmate's Roadster not sound so-so with the Suck, sorry Loop Engage, switch (which activates the Suck knob, aka Output) engaged. I'm convinced that Mesa can't or isn't bothering to figure out how to make fx loops work well. The one in my Recto Pre is basically useless, too.

Dry the Roadster sounds absolutely amazing. The crappy fx handling, I can honestly say after last night, is the reason I wouldn't own one.

edit: it's also the reason I wouldn't own a whole bunch of other really expensive amps, too... not picking on the Roadster specifically.

dbright said:
I agree that the amp is best with hard bypass on......tones make me salivate...but I use a gmajor in loop and keeley stomps bd,ds1, comp in front. I thought I had these tweaked in well. I just flipped the hard by pass in one day and SHEEZAAM the difference was amazing. But after an hour of riffing and wondering how I could still use my fx I decided to use the bypass tone as a benchmark and tweak the loop to get as close as possible. A couple hours later i had it to the point that in or out of bypass the tone was almost identical..just a bit more noise and maybe 5% less definition in tone...so for gigging that is close enough for rock and roll :lol:

So, how did you set everything to make it sound about the same on/off?

Latest posts

Back