Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Botch said:
****, I think I might have to get some of these for my Dual Rec! Will they sound OK for metal/hardcore?!

I have one in V1, and I'm playing metal. It brought the amp a life I didn't know it had...

MikeKCA said:
Botch said:
Can anyone tell me how theses tung sols compare to the JJs? :)

The Tung Sols make the JJs seem completely lifeless.

Tung sols IMO are only better than JJ's for tight ryth tone. For solos the JJ's are much smoother, warmer and more buttery. Tungs are just plain harsh for solos and cleans.

I have both...When I record a solo I always turn to JJ's.

But for chugga chugga the tung sols are amazing.

MikeKCA said:
...or you can just stick with NOS tubes that are attainable. I love the way Timbre Wolf, and others, list tubes that are virtually impossible to find, or which sell for well over $50 a pop:)

One of the best "attainable" NOS 12AX7s is the Tesla E83CC. It's also on Timbre Wolf's list.

Mike K
KCA NOS Tubes
http://www.kcanostubes.com
The Wolrd's Largest Selection of Guitar Amp Tubes

How is $90 per tube attainable? That means $720 to retube my Quad preamp... And they are extremely rare tubes.

dmt said:
How is $90 per tube attainable? That means $720 to retube my Quad preamp... And they are extremely rare tubes.
$90 per tube - for what tube, now? I don't spend anywhere near that amount - couldn't afford to. I guess the simple solution is to not buy from KCA, but to go to a more affordable source.

- T

dmt said:
MikeKCA said:
...or you can just stick with NOS tubes that are attainable. I love the way Timbre Wolf, and others, list tubes that are virtually impossible to find, or which sell for well over $50 a pop:)

One of the best "attainable" NOS 12AX7s is the Tesla E83CC. It's also on Timbre Wolf's list.

Mike K
KCA NOS Tubes
http://www.kcanostubes.com
The Wolrd's Largest Selection of Guitar Amp Tubes

I've had great luck on eBay finding vintage tubes at fair prices, but you must be patient and know what you're looking for. It also helps to buy from people with a return policy, because even if the tube tests strong, it could be noisy or microphonic.

dodger916 said:
Hey Thom...you got me started on this obsession!
Oh, fine - blame me for your dwindling bank account. Actually, I'll go ahead and take the blame, when you're talking to your wife/girlfriend/significant other. Just as long as you don't give out my address :shock:

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
dodger916 said:
Hey Thom...you got me started on this obsession!
Oh, fine - blame me for your dwindling bank account. Actually, I'll go ahead and take the blame, when you're talking to your wife/girlfriend/significant other. Just as long as you don't give out my address :shock:

- T

MikeKCA said:

One of the best "attainable" NOS 12AX7s is the Tesla E83CC. It's also on Timbre Wolf's l

Sorry, but we are going to have to agree to disagree some on that one. Although the commonly found price on the eBay market for a strong vintage Mullard 12ax7 long plate is currently hovering around a c-note and the Tesla e83cc/ecc803s are going 80-ish, (+-15ish bucks) the RFT are going for less than half the Mullard rate, and the others listed often can be had for less than 30 bucks apiece before shipping costs are added. With that said, yes, there is some rolling of the dice as far as microphony and actual strength in circuit is concerned. But a good 3/4 of the time the tubes I have purchased there have been at least usable in guitar amp situations and sounding very good as well. A couple of times I got lucky and got Amperex, Mullard, Valvo, and particularly Siemens longplate 12ax7's for 25-35 bucks apiece from sellers who did not know what they were selling.

And might we all remember to call the Russian produced so called Tungsol 12ax7...by a more proper name, like adding the suffix RI after the 12ax7 designation, RI stands for reissue.

TS or Tung Sol 12ax7 RI, PLEASE!

Peace.

I am in the process of retubing my Mk. I (non-RI) and Mk. IIC+ amps.

Apparently, there are 2 types of the Tung-Sol 12AX7 RI tubes: the plain version and the 12AX7/ECC-803S Gold version.

Is the gold-pinned one geared more towards audiophiles?

Timbre Wolf said:
New Sensor's current-production "Tung-Sol" is a very respectable 12AX7: it has quite a low noise floor, very good clarity, and nice thick low-mids. It is my favorite new-production option.

That said, I'm a self-professed NOS snob - not because of some esoteric old-glass clout, to compensate for a deficient sense of self-worth, but because many old valves greatly out-perform the best of current-production.

The genuine, original Tung-Sol 12AX7 has noticeably improved clarity and liveliness, compared to this upstart pseudo-Tung-Sol. Still, if you're getting new, you can only do worse choosing another, in my opinion.

- T

I have some of the Tung Sol 12AX7s and on the way. Also considering the tube below. See the propaganda advert>

Winged "C" 5U4G / 5U3C tube has black-plate construction and was made from the late 1950's to early 1960's. This tube is labeled with it's Russian name 5U3C but is an exact replacement for any 5U4-G tube. $50 for the one tube.

Is it as good as claimed? I have a MKV. Play a wide variety from Metheny to Metallica. Have an old Series 2 Single Rec for those type tones.

The plug for the Winged C 6L6 - Sound fair or marketing BS? This one is on the way to me now.

Winged "C" 6L6GC tube: "This may be the closest thing available if you really want the vintage sound of the large bottle Sylvania and RCA tubes of yesterday. Tremendous harmonic content and an overall depth in sound make these another excellent choice for the purist.

Boogieman said:
Is the gold-pinned one geared more towards audiophiles?
Its really geared towards people who want to spend more money on a product that performs exactly the same as the non-premium version. Yeah - audiophiles usually fall for that more often.

Gold plating on the pins won't improve any aspect of the sonic character of that tube.

- Thom

Heritage Softail said:
I have some of the Tung Sol 12AX7s and on the way. Also considering the tube below. See the propaganda advert>

Winged "C" 5U4G / 5U3C tube has black-plate construction and was made from the late 1950's to early 1960's. This tube is labeled with it's Russian name 5U3C but is an exact replacement for any 5U4-G tube. $50 for the one tube.

Is it as good as claimed? I have a MKV. Play a wide variety from Metheny to Metallica. Have an old Series 2 Single Rec for those type tones.

The plug for the Winged C 6L6 - Sound fair or marketing BS? This one is on the way to me now.

Winged "C" 6L6GC tube: "This may be the closest thing available if you really want the vintage sound of the large bottle Sylvania and RCA tubes of yesterday. Tremendous harmonic content and an overall depth in sound make these another excellent choice for the purist.
Winged "C" 6L6GC are an excellent choice for new-production. Get 'em!

As for the $50 Russian 5U3C - I'm not so sure, as I've never tried that. I do know that you can get the best of NOS 5U4G (such as my favorite, Ken-Rad) for that price. Personally, I'd pass on that "deal" and go for any US-made 5U4G - just make sure you have the space for the tall, bulbous bottle.

- T

MusicManJP6 said:
Doesn't the plating really just protect against corrosion?
I suppose it would eventually out-last the non gold-plated pins. I use tubes that are 60+ years old, and they don't have gold-plated pins. If there is slight pin corrosion, it is usually easily cleaned. But if you plan on keeping these tubes on the shelf, in a very humid area, near salt-water, for five decades or more, then it may be a slight advantage to go for the gold plated version.

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
Its really geared towards people who want to spend more money on a product that performs exactly the same as the non-premium version. Yeah - audiophiles usually fall for that more often.

- Thom

Ack, just as I suspected.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Call me crazy, but I quite like the stock preamp valves in my Mesa, those Russian 2s. Only replaced V1 in my Roadster with a Mesa SPAX7 preamp valve. Sounds good. I wonder if a preamp valve swap would be better. Kinda dig the tones I'm getting the way they are currently...

Latest posts

Back