Tubes for a Triaxis???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennie

Reaction score
Hey all, I remember seeing a very informative post a year or two ago about preamp tubes for the Triaxis here on the Boogie Board. I have tried to find it but am coming up short. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I would love to read it again, rather study it if someone could find the link to it.
On that note I'm looking to replace my tube set and would love to hear some recommendations. I have typically been a lead 2, mid-range tone freak king of player. I am finding a place for the smooth Lead 1 tones. But the one thing that I have never really found in the 2 triaxis I have owned is a S.R.V./Fender Supereverb style clean tone(soft on the edges). I admit that I have not explored tubes nor am I very knowledgeable about them.
Ultimately I'm looking for a good option that isn't going to cost several hundred of dollars. I think I remember seeing in that old post that there are particular positions ( maybe it was v2 and v4?) that I might want to spend a little more cash on??
Thanks for any help
Bennie

Check out Eurotubes, send them an email and ask them what you are looking for. I retubed my Triaxis with a high gain - low output set from them, so far so good, at least to my ears. My needs aren't as specific as yours since i view amps within a band context. Check them out, they're very helpful and timely delivery.

This is probably the post you're talking about :
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=749

I've experienced great results with a 12AT7 (mullard) in V2 and a 5751(RCA) in V1. I still could have tons of gain with LD2 modes, LD1 are as creamy as you want and LD1 red is now usable !

Bennie said:
But the one thing that I have never really found in the 2 triaxis I have owned is a S.R.V./Fender Supereverb style clean tone(soft on the edges).

I have found this kind of tone using LD1Green on low drive. Also Rhythm Green (or Yellow maybe) with high gain can do it.

Ok this is what I bought:

For V5:JAN-Philips 5751 SY-5751
For V3: V3GE 5751 - Triple Mica GE-5751
For V1/2/4: Mullard 12AT7WA / CV4024 MU-12AT7

It definitely made a differencene LD1. Ando I recognized that application of LD1 green and yellow as soon as I got the V3 and the V5 swithed out. I changed those first for the reasoning (as I understand it?) that these positions require a more balanced, less gain tube and I wanted to hear how those alone would change sound quality. I then switched out V2 and noted the difference in LD1. After replacing V1, V2 and V4 I'll admit that I'm not entirely sold on this configuration of tube set as is. The LD2 in all 3 modes is less than satisfactory. At this point I'll state that I'm not running a quality power amp( currently seeking out a 2:90, which I have had in the past and am familiar with) however, I still have a feel for the tones that are being put out. The LD2 seems thin, lacking the strong mids that I am use to from this unit. Any body have suggestions?

Thanks Bennie

I have had more time to fuss with tones. I'm finding that the break up is really muddy kinda awful. I did score a 290 on E-bay, so I'll soon find out what's up.

Bennie said:
I have had more time to fuss with tones. I'm finding that the break up is really muddy kinda awful. I did score a 290 on E-bay, so I'll soon find out what's up.

You may have a problem with your Triaxis. I can honestly say I have never found an "awful" sound on mine in any mode.

Latest posts

Back