Tube Odor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had new tubes emit a hot electronic sort of smell for the first few minutes, but then it goes away and I don't smell it anymore.... Not sure what your issue may be - if it is an issue at all.

Man, I dig the smell of warm tubes. Takes me back to my childhood, when that smell meant we could watch TV or listen to the radio. :lol:

Tubes won't emit an odor from anything inside them - there is no gas exchange (or if there is, the tube does not work). New tubes may off-gas some paint fumes from whatever has been painted on them. Old tubes, when heated, will off-gas whatever has been spilled/deposited on them. So to answer your question, you have to figure out what has been deposited on your tubes; hopefully this has been under your control.

I wouldn't worry too much about hazardous, per-se. But the odor can be a nuisance, and it is best to reduce exposure in any case. I recommend a gentle dusting (turn power OFF first). If you can easily do so, remove the tubes, one at a time, and gently wipe them off before replacing them.

Doesn't hurt to air out the practice pad every now and then, too. I've been to some real stink-holes before. Those places have a bit too much "personality" for me.

- Thom

Can't do it as easily with the Mark IV but I love taking a deep breath of the hot valve air coming out the top of my Marshall. You can't beat that old plasticy/electric smell :)

If you're concerned about health hazards, just open the window/door for a minute every hour or two.

boola said:
Can't do it as easily with the Mark IV but I love taking a deep breath of the hot valve air coming out the top of my Marshall. You can't beat that old plasticy/electric smell :)

I know what you mean. But that is not a tube smell. It is everything around the tube. Tubes are just the source of heat.

- T

Latest posts

Back