Tube Nirvana

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo1

Reaction score
I was looking around my local Craigslist for some tubes and came across a neighbor with a listing for some old radios. Being the adventurous type I went to have a look. Well it turned out the radios he was getting rid of didn't use any 12AX7's or anything of use in my Boogies. What he did have that really freaked me out was the boxes, bags, bins, shelves, etc... of every vintage tube you can imagine. I'm not talking a few dozen of this or that, but a few thousand, with multiples of most every tube I've ever heard discussed here.

We talked for hours and he has a real passion and gift for finding mega loads of tubes. Rather than spending money buying one or two of this or that as I've been doing. I'm actually gonna get to roll tubes from a buffet that is seriously overwhelming. There were Mullards, RCA, GE, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, Amperex, etc., grey/black/tall/short plates, gold pin, military, and the list goes on and on and on. He would mention a tube like an RCA 'Command' and then pull out a drawer with boxes of them. It was quite much to take in.

Ok, all that to say, if you were to bring a MKIVa (4x12ax7, 1x12AT7) into this small piece of heaven and could assemble your dream cocktail, what would it be? I'm only thinking preamp tubes right now. The collection of power tubes was equally impressive, but I'm not ready to calculate what the proper range tube would be needed for rolling them. I'm only taste testing. I have no expectation that I will get to buy any of these, but what a privileged to have such an opportunity.

I generally lean towards a nice clear R1 that is warm, but not muddy with a crisp sparkle and a nice openness to it. R2 should have as much crunch as possible, but still be able to clean up. Preferably with enough dynamics to lean into it and get it to push back. Lead channel should sing with a nice sustain and have a controllable follow-up into harmonic feedback when desired. As far as the Rev and PI I have no clue what to look for regarding tube choices.

OK, the floor is open.

I bought 3 bags of tubes from a local radio/TV guy a year or so ago that was nothing but RCA/GE/Tung-Sol/Sylvania's from the 50s and 60's and couldn't be happier. I grabbed up like 70 or 80 tubes and ended up with LOADs of spares (and also stuff I couldn't use). Best $33 I ever spent. When people like that sell in bulk; BUYBUYBUY!

Mongo1 said:
I generally lean towards a nice clear R1 that is warm, but not muddy with a crisp sparkle and a nice openness to it. R2 should have as much crunch as possible, but still be able to clean up. Preferably with enough dynamics to lean into it and get it to push back. Lead channel should sing with a nice sustain and have a controllable follow-up into harmonic feedback when desired. As far as the Rev and PI I have no clue what to look for regarding tube choices.

OK, the floor is open.
First off, great find. You have a unique opportunity to do some accelerated tube-rolling. I run either a vintage Tung-Sol or Amperex in V1 or V2. I find the Amperex to be on the bright side in a real good way without harshness or ice picks. They are well-balanced and I think good compliments for Mark amps. Tung-Sols are another favorite of mine. I find them to be well-balanced and put out a vintage Fenderish warmth without the dark tendencies of a Mullard. The other American tubes (Syls, GE, RCA) are also great tubes for Mark amps. Oh well...I guess you'll just have to pick up a good assortment and experiment for yourself! 8)

I have a 1/91 MkIVa and I have a large stash of NOS tubes, so I naturally tube rolled. My favorite tube in my Marshalls and Dr. Z is the French Mazda 12ax7 grey plate. Thick, sweet high gain. But these did not work in my Mk. Every one I replaced meant more clarity for the Mk, though I left one in V3 for the lead channel.

I ended up with

V1: Amperex 7025
V2: Mullard 12ax7
V3: Mazda 12ax7 grey (silvers are not good in any slot here)
V4: RCA 12AT7
V5: RCA 12AX7 long plate
all power slots: STR415s blue ink

With this combination of tubes, the amp is absolutely silent and sweet. No noise. Cleans
are 3D, the distortion is uncongested and musical. The V5 slot is very important and I took the Long Plate cue from the brown era Fenders. Epic.

Latest posts

Back