Tube advice for rectifier preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interrogate

Reaction score
Hey there, i was wondering could somone advise me on a tube combination or brand as i want to retube the preamp in my dual rec? At the min i`m running el 34 power tubes in the power section and am happy with them, so if possible i`d like u`r advice on some preamp tubes to try that will possibley tighten up a little of the fizzyness. I was searching through a site last week and decided to try some electro harmonicx 12AX7 preamp tubes. When i recieved them i stuck them in my amp and had problems with volumes drops, one minute my amp was quiet next min it would raise up to its normal volume, i checked all tubes to make sure they were seated correctly and same thing happened again so i popped back in the old tubes and everythings fine again. I was informed that some tubes have issue`s with rectifiers so thats why i`d like your advice on what tubes are best suited or if u could give me a tube combination to try that will help tighten up my amp a little, sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help in advance! :)

You need to have some good chinese tubes in the cathode follower positions because they will destroy certain tubes. I know in my road king it's v3 an v4 that are the picky ones.

I will have a search for chinese tubes, last time i retubed it with groove tubes and had no problems at all, i don`t really know to much bout tubes, just thought all preamp tubes would work ok but its a learning process. I came across this site, it has preamp kits for boogie amps do u think any of these would be worth trying?

https://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?id=26&man=180

Theres 3 different combinations there for low, medium, to high gain.

i am a complete newbie when it comes to this. but do i need to purchase a specific type of pre-amp tube (like power tube) or does it not matter?

Latest posts

Back