Trying for this type of sound...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
Trying for this sound from my 2 Ch. Dual Rec and doubt it is possible. I know a lot of you guys on here have tons of experience with all types of Mesa amps and also have good ears for breaking down tones.

http://www.myspace.com/strungout

I know one of the guys used to be endorsed by Mesa and used Dual Recs but now is endorsed by Krank and uses a Revolution. They both use ESP guitars with EMG pickups. Any ideas? Should I be looking more at a Mark IV for this type of sound? I just don't think the Dual Rec can do this much of a compressed, focused sound. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Get a stompbox distortion and run it on the clean channel or run a midrangey OD as a volume boost on the Vintage mode.. that's as close as you'll get I think with a Rectifier.

i'd say their settings are pretty normal...not too much gain so be careful with that. Not too much bass either.

treble and mids are up a little. They've got some effects going for the leads.

Maybe a distortion pedal up front to tighten things up a little for the riffing and as a boost at the solo at the end.

Note that you may not even have to boost your treble and mids! By cutting bass, the other frequencies stand out more.

When recording and mixing, it's always better to cut frequencies than boost others.

One last note, I think the ESPs play a BIG part in their sound.

The beginning part is just a bypass toggle. I agree with Elpelotero, should be easy to dial it in. Might try el34's to tighten things up a little.

yeah i agree about the ESP's. they have a really distinct sound. interesting that you guys are saying not too much bass in their sound? i think a lot of times i am confused between the bass frequencies in the guitars vs. what you get after you mix the guitars with a heavy, punchy bass and a big kick drum. i'll try some of what you guys mentioned tonight. i have been running an MXR clean boost..but in the FX loop, not in the front of the DR....bad idea?

clutch71 said:
The beginning part is just a bypass toggle. I agree with Elpelotero, should be easy to dial it in. Might try el34's to tighten things up a little.

yeah, i thought about that, since my JJ KT88's are almost too hot for me, i think.

MiSeRY said:
i have been running an MXR clean boost..but in the FX loop, not in the front of the DR....bad idea?

yeah, dude you can't clean boost from there. put it in front. speakers and cabs can play a part. i think you can get it. pretty sweet sound tho.

Latest posts

Back