Triple Recto only good for rhythm playing!!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_1990

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im thinking about buying a triple rectifier but many people have told me there not good for leads only for rythem. What do you guys all rekon? Im also thinking of buying a roadking but there way out of my price range. How does the triple recto compare to the roadking?

Thanks

i dont know about the triple, but last week a friend of mine lend me his DR for a test drive and it was just the same thing that happened . . . the DR is wonderfull for really heavy rhythms, but when it cames to the lead department . . . it sucks BIG balls :x just fuzzy tone, no matter what ive dialed in, with this annoying trebly edge, no sustain and absolutely no smooth notes . . . my Mk III pwned the DR for leads (and for a lot of other things . . . :wink: ).

the Rectos are useless for leads, imo.

Uh, I play solos on mine all the time, and I can get a nice, creamy lead tone without any of the issues mentioned above. I have a 2001 3ch Triple, and I use the "Orange" channel for solos, and the "Red" for rhythm playing.

In fact, I played gig with my cover band on Saturday, with ch 2 set to vintage, gain a shade below half, mid about 11:00, bass on 9:00, treble on 1:00 and presence at about 11:00, and got a nice, creamy lead tone with just a hint of nasty in it.

As with all amps, YMMV.

The Road King is a different beast altogether. There's several good reviews here...

I have to scratch my head a bit over this. A RK set to 2 or 4 6L6's should sound nearly, if not exactly the same as a late model Single or Dual Recto, respectively, assuming you're using the same cabinet, mode, rectifier and variac settings in both cases for Raw and Vintage modes.

In my opinion Modern is pretty skunky and un-usable for leads as players with many, many years of experience have come to know them.

But, due to the very recessed mid extension of Rectos in general, they don't lend themselves to soloing in classic terms very well. They just aren't "up front" enough. Use an EQ pedal or an overdrive/preamp pedal that throws a lot of mids back into the signal and you'll be able to dial up a killer soloing tone in raw or vintage mode.

123thefirst said:
They just aren't "up front" enough. Use an EQ pedal or an overdrive/preamp pedal that throws a lot of mids back into the signal and you'll be able to dial up a killer soloing tone in raw or vintage mode.

actually this is what ive done to get a good lead sound, i've slammed a Barber BB in the pushed mode and get a cool lead sound, but with only the amp . . .

eaeolian said:
In fact, I played gig with my cover band on Saturday, with ch 2 set to vintage, gain a shade below half, mid about 11:00, bass on 9:00, treble on 1:00 and presence at about 11:00, and got a nice, creamy lead tone with just a hint of nasty in it.

hummm, bad the amp is not with me anymore, really wanna try those settings . . . will tell my friend to try'em and see what he gets. 8)

yeah i have no complaints about the soloing tone on my triple recto. i agree about using a boost/eq pedal as well as messing with the different channel voicings. orange channel in vintage mode with a boost pedal i love more than my red channel :shock:

i agree with turmoil. i use my orange channel most of the time, and only use the red channel for really heavy, "tuned to C" kind of stuff. other than that, it is pretty much strictly the orange channel. set to either vintage or modern.

hmmm...wonder what the red channel would sound like set on vintage...might have to try that.

Vigo1999 said:
eaeolian said:

hummm, bad the amp is not with me anymore, really wanna try those settings . . . will tell my friend to try'em and see what he gets. 8)

If he's got V30s, it won't sound the same. (I use g12K-85s, that sound almost exactly like the Mesa c90s.) IMO the single biggest detriment to a Recto series amp is Celestion V30s.

If you stick to orange vintage, you're golden. That channel can have such a creamy lead tone it's ridiculous. That, along with vintage 30's and an Air Norton in my neck slot give me the sweetest leads.

It can be a bit rough to get a good solo off of it. I have to tweak my Roadster quite a bit before I can. I used to get it immediately with my Mark IV.

eaeolian said:
Vigo1999 said:
eaeolian said:

If he's got V30s, it won't sound the same. (I use g12K-85s, that sound almost exactly like the Mesa c90s.) IMO the single biggest detriment to a Recto series amp is Celestion V30s.

no, he uses Eminences, Red Coat Series, dont remember the model, i think it's a manowar/red fang combo in a 2x12 cab.

and i tried her on mine EV loaded cabs, not with the V30s . . .

I see the rectos as being a rhythm amplifier as well due to the scooped nature of it but that isn't to say I didn't get some smoldering sustain filled leads with my DR with the right settings + OD.

I have wrestled with the DR lead sound for some time.

My opinion is that it can be done but I have to use an overdrive/boost to get the sustain I want. The Xotic BB preamp does the trick for me. I also use delay 99.9% of time. Without delay and overdrive I am not satisfied with the lead tones I have in my DR. I did not say they were bad....they just are not what I want.

the early 2ch rectos have a ridiculous lead tone with flat settings and all. it's much more akin to a mark tone than a recto tone when soloing.

I never cared for my '00 two channel's lead ability, hence.... Though I do believe the Vintage setting would be best to demo for yourself! As others have said, leaving the Modern mode for rhythms, and of course Cleans for....

No problems getting a nice sound here I just set my pick up to the neck position on my Les Paul and away I go. Sometimes I use the solo button on the pedal but if I am just jamming with a bassist there usually is no need.

Latest posts

Back