Triple Rectifier rack noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloghunt

Reaction score
Hi, new on the forum.

I'm having some trouble with my rig that I don't know how to solve.

Basically It's my Peterson Stroborack tuner that is making noise when it's being run in front of the amp. I've been in contact with their support but we haven't been able to succesfully get rid of it. But the interesting part is that if I run the tuner in the FX-loop the noise is gone but then I can't use the mute function to get the rig silent when tuning.

My rig consists of:
Triple Rec
Voodoo Lab GCX & GCP
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2
TC Electronics G-Major
Peterson Stroborack Tuner
Ibanez TS-9
Isp Decimator

So I thought that maybe you guys had an idea at what may be causing it and why it's gone when I'm using it in the loop, since what I've been told by one of their tech's it's usually the other way around. I.e. noise when tuner is in the loop but not when running in front of the amp.

Thanks
David

I'm no expert, but since noone else has answered...

I recently found out a ground loop in my rack gear was giving my dual rectifier noise. Have you tried removing the tuner from the rack and plugging straight into the amp with only a guitar hooked up? If the noise disappears you may need to make sure the tuner isn't touching the rack rails or other rack gear. These amps are very sensitive to ground fault noise. If I'm right, the FX loop comes after the preamp so maybe thats why the noise isn't there when you use the loop?

JLHC495 said:
I'm no expert, but since noone else has answered...

I recently found out a ground loop in my rack gear was giving my dual rectifier noise. Have you tried removing the tuner from the rack and plugging straight into the amp with only a guitar hooked up? If the noise disappears you may need to make sure the tuner isn't touching the rack rails or other rack gear. These amps are very sensitive to ground fault noise. If I'm right, the FX loop comes after the preamp so maybe thats why the noise isn't there when you use the loop?

Thank you for answering. Yes this occurs even when the tuner isn't mounted in the rack and when I run my guitar straight in to the tuner and then straight into the input of the amp.

I've been able to get everything in my rack down very low, atleast in my opinion but I have now given up on getting it even quieter since that seems impossible at this given time, atleast with my own knowledge.

So it's not really an issue anymore since it's so low, but I'm quite anal about my gear so I try my hardest to get everything to work to its highest potential.

So thank you for answering but this seems unsolvable since all gear produce a little noise and this is definitely within that spectrum.

Something to try......Take an old cable and cut the outer conductor, the shield. Then try using that cable between the tuner and the amp. It might not work but that worked for me when running rack effects in the loop of my triple rec. It breaks the ground loop which stopped the hum on mine. Might not work but if you have any old cables laying around, it couldn't hurt.

Have you tried plugging your tuner in to an outlet that isn't on the same circuit as the amp? I have a couple bits of gear that will hum if they aren't on seperate circuits.

Back