Triple Rec power tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caustic69

Reaction score
Is it possible to pull 2 or 4 of the power tubes from a pre-reborn Triple rec to get it down to 100 or 50 watts?

If so, which pairs do you pull? Do this require re-biasing once pulled? How would this effect tone?

Thanks

Mesa amps have a hardwired bias.

I think it is possible to pull tubes from a Triple but why do you need so much power?
At any rate, it is a bit problematic because removing tubes changes how the amp 'senses' impedance. With a Dual Rectifier, pulling a pair of power tubes means you can 'reset' the impedance by plugging from the 4ohm output into an 8 ohm cab. (or 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cab)
IN the case of the Triple, it would be a little more tricky to figure out the math. So you'd have to reduce the impedance of the amp by 1/3rd when removing a pair of tubes and reduce the impedance of the amp by 2/3rds when removing two pairs of tubes.

So removing two tubes and plugging from the 4ohm output into an 8 ohm cab will work. It will be a correct mismatch. But you would have to plug from a 4ohm output into a 16 ohm cab for a correct mismatch should you desire to play the thing at 50 watts.
My suggestion, if you need to yank tubes out of a triple, get a Dual or a Single instead. (Or better yet, a mini)

Yes you can, just pull the two outer tubes or the inner tubes, and take one rec tube out for each pair of power tubes.

Ive run mine with 2 power tubes and 1 rec tube.

If its all about volume you really wont notice a huge difference, it does sound a bit thinner to my ears, but volume wise your not going to knock it down that much.

If you want to kill volume I would suggest engaging the effects loop and use the volume on the effects loop to control your overall volume, I would do this before pulling tubes. Unless you are playing hard core metal, you should be able to get some good tones out this way without splitting your ear drums, Ive done this for years with mine.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back