triple rec lights up like fireworks!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainstew

Reaction score
So I'm rockin' my triple rec like no ones business, got my headphones on and stuff, i go to switch to channel 2 and i get a choppy weird hum im like hmm havent heard that before so i go to channel 3 and it dies. She lights up like the fourth of july with a blue flame and makes a hideous click/pop noise. Now this is still under warrenty I bought it used last month for a steal. Was this my fault? ive changed these channels before and havent messed with the buttons much at all since i bought it other than gain up and down. Im hoping it was just the fuse that popped cause it won't even turn on now. I took out the chassey and the tubes appear to be alright no blackening or rattle to the shake. Can anyone provide insight on how much it might cost me to replace, or what other things might have gone wrong? I could probably put the fuse in myself but is there any problem that you've heard of this sounding like? Im kinda new to the mesa family here so im just trying to asses the damage.

thanks for listening!

brainstew said:
So I'm rockin' my triple rec like no ones business, got my headphones on and stuff, i go to switch to channel 2 and i get a choppy weird hum im like hmm havent heard that before so i go to channel 3 and it dies. She lights up like the fourth of july with a blue flame and makes a hideous click/pop noise. Now this is still under warrenty I bought it used last month for a steal. Was this my fault? ive changed these channels before and havent messed with the buttons much at all since i bought it other than gain up and down. Im hoping it was just the fuse that popped cause it won't even turn on now. I took out the chassey and the tubes appear to be alright no blackening or rattle to the shake. Can anyone provide insight on how much it might cost me to replace, or what other things might have gone wrong? I could probably put the fuse in myself but is there any problem that you've heard of this sounding like? Im kinda new to the mesa family here so im just trying to asses the damage.

thanks for listening!

Call mesa artist relations at 707 - 778 - 6565 . You may have to leave a message but they will call you back . They are in CA so there may be a time difference . Not sure where you are at .

brainstew said:

thanks for listening!

You had it hooked up to a Cab right? You can't even fire these things up with out a load on it. Not sure how new you are to tube amps.

Ya... please tell me you had a cab or hotplate hooked up to it and didn't have the headphones plugged in directly. :cry:

well I have my Yamaha cab plugged in but whats a hot plate? what could have happend if I did have my headphones in directly, i think i did that like when i first got it but that was like 2 weeks ago. how badly damaged do you think this is, don't go easy i need to know what to say when I go into the store cause I really dont think this is my fault, Ive changed these channels before and there was no problem, I dont see why i should have one now. I bought it used so I dunno what they are gonna say but theres a 30 day warrenty.

I just payed 2 gs on this thing i dont feel like shoveling more out so soon :(

The cab was hooked up when you were playing with head phones? And did you match the Ohms up to the cab with the proper output from the back of the amp?

I don't think your issue is from switching channels.

I missed the part where you said you had them plugged in Directly. First the Hotplate is a device designed to allow you to have the amp cranked but play at lower volumes it goes between your amp and cab and I think can even be there when a cab isn't (to play with headphones etc) but I may be wrong on that as I have never used one.

If you have played or was playing the amp without a load on the speaker outs you could very well have damaged the power/output transformer and that is yes your fault and going to cost alot of money. I switch channels alot in my songs and I have yet to have a problem with my amp it is from 2001 and I have now owned it for about 2 years. I have owned several Marshall tubes amps in the past as well and only had an issue once which wasn't my fault.

Learn something new everyday, I had no idea you could even plug phones into an amp?

Glad I don't own phones, I still didn't know you needed a speaker source plugged in. Heck I just did a tube change too, glad I plugged everything back in before I fired it up.............

Good luck with your problem Stew and let us know the outcome.........

yarrr.... given it was an output tranny that my issue is, anyone went through a replacement how much does that tend to cost?? the store I bought it from I think repairs mesa but isnt a dealer, there is a dealer close to me. Like i wanna go back to the store and say fix this i got a warrenty, or you think i should just skip the trip and go to the dealer, the dealer is actually closer hah.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok...i have a question then about having a cab hooked up.....
During shows I use shure in ear monitors
Now I use a mesa 4/12 cab through the 8ohm out on the triple rec....
HOWEVER....i also run the slave out.....into my in ear monitors...
am i doing any damage to my amp????

HollowSoul you should be ok since your cab is a load on the output transformer. The slave out is intended for using the head as a preamp and connecting to another power amp. In your case the in ear monitor should be fine.

So I've got my amp back and it was 2 blown power amps and a blown fuse. It would have cost me 89 CAN if I wasent under warrenty, thank you jebus.
So now how can I use head phones through my mesa triple rect??? A hot plate he said? this item looks good it says it will allow me to have my amp wide open at lower volumes, sounds like it could add protection, make my sound better and will allow me to use headphones?

I am not sure if you can run a hotplate t headphones. Anyone got any input on this. I am looking into buying a hotplate right now. They range from 200-400 bucks.

at least with a hotplate you can play at easy listening levels without pissing off the folks in the hood.

I play my LSC real quite like in the garage when the wife is asleep. No complaints yet, but after three beers I notice the master starts creeping clockwise
:roll:

you have to realise that your amp isn't a practice amp..you can use it as one but it was designed to be LOUD ..i recomend that you Do not use head phones and you just use a hotplate at a very low volume setting..this will insure that your amp won't blow up...

So how did this go? What did it cost and did you get it sorted out?

:?:

Latest posts

Back