triple rec and marshall 4x10's, speaker wiring and etc ??'ss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theearthisourfeast

Reaction score
So i have a new to me triple rectifier and 2 marshall 1965 4x10 cabinets that were aquired from a friend. All of this quality equipment stuff is new to me and i'm learning very quickly, but ran into a few things i am unsure of. First off, the first marshal cab is wired in series/ parallel and since all speakers are 8 ohms, i've been runniing it off the 8 ohm jack which should be fine. However, it's only rated for 140 watts and while i only play in my living room and never crank it up, could this be a problem since the rec is a 150 watt amp? Next, i picked up the second cab today and it's wired in series. This one only has two of the original celestions which are 8 ohms and two pyle driver speakers that don't say the resistance. Hopefully whomever replaced them used 8 ohm speakers, and if this was the case then i should be at 32 ohms right? does that mean i should run it out the 16 output on the amp or should i rewire it to 8 ohms? And again, 140 watts, am i going to blow them if i crank the amp?

Two other things:
Can you pull tubes on these amps to lower the wattage and get the tubes heated up more to get "that sound"? It really doesnt get sweet until it's far louder than the neighbors care for.

On that same note, are any of the attenuators out there worth a ****? Does the sound of a cranked tube amp really come through, or are they just a waste of money?

Thanks a lot for the help from someone new to all this. This board has been very educational for me....

so i rewired the cabinet to 8 ohms. sounds better and now i dont have to worry. Still wondering about my other questions...

Latest posts

Back