Triaxis vs studio pre ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have the studio pre and triaxis. Let me put it this way. I do not know how exactly everybody idolizes their original boogie mark or not tone and I don't have any good friends at boogie. I do have my ears though. I tried the studio pre with 6L6's EL84's and EL34's almost in every occasion I could. I also found at last the 50/50. I also tried the triaxis in several configurations. I know that the cab has a huge part but it was not easy to drag all the available cabinets and power amps in the same room with the same guitar so everything I say is kinda subjective and depends of the rest of the setup.

That said, with my ears I don't really get why EL84's have to lack in any department other than "thunderous" bass.
I found out that the studio pre and triaxis got great tone, very "original" even through a humble laney lc 30 II. It also achieves many great tones through my f-30 power section, dyna-watt EL84.

When I paired them with many other power amps, I found out that many of the internet claims were true, 6L6s do have sparkling highs, great low end response, EL34's are thick etc. But did I prefer them to EL84's? NO. Also even with ss designs I got perfectably useable tones and in many ways better in the low end department than 6L6's (tighter clearer).

So let your personal preference be the judge. And regarding the "good friend at boogie" how come they claim the 50 caliber with EL84 to be more aggressive and have it at such a high esteem if it lacks so many things compared to the 6L6 version?

Between the triaxis and the studio pre, I vote for the studio. It is a bigger, more open, more smooth and crunchy lead 2 yellow sound. It only does this to be honest. And I did not care for the cleans in any of these machines. (could be the fault of the speakers but I am a high gain player...). But it does it in a more glorious way than the triaxis.

The triaxis is a great machine. I mean all these presets? different sounds? I would be happy even with only this. Far more useable than the studio pre live or any other preamp excluding digital...

And is far more versatile. A piece of "mark" history.
But it lacks for me the small details. No bright or deep/fat switches. No adjustable eq even though the dynamic voice and pressence compensates. But most of all if you are after lead 2 yellow type of sound, the studio pre and probably quad does it better for a fraction of the price.

giorikas81 said:
Far more useable than the studio pre live or any other preamp excluding digital...
That's weird, when you typed "especially" it came out "excluding" for some reason. Ah well, blame it on the internet...

Danimal said:
giorikas81 said:
Far more useable than the studio pre live or any other preamp excluding digital...
That's weird, when you typed "especially" it came out "excluding" for some reason. Ah well, blame it on the internet...

The advent of the Axe FX may change more than one mind about digital gear performance.
I haven't had the chance to get my hands on one (nor I am willing to buy one, there's just so much "real" stuff to be bought for such a price), but what I've seen and heard so far is pretty impressive.

straitouttahell said:
what I've seen and heard so far is pretty impressive.
Me too. Of course, what I saw and heard with the Line 6, Digitech, and Vox were all impressive too. As with all digital gear, after a time the "sameness" of the digital sound sinks in and I'm scrambling for tubes again. And I know I'm not alone. And of course there is the missing "feel" of a 2D piece of gear trying to do what a 3D piece of gear is meant to do.

There is a user on YouTube (samhillband, I believe) that has a CAA OD100SE+ and an AxeFX and in listening to the clips there is no comparison in tone. The tubes win. And I was watching his clips in the hopes of being convinced to try the AxeFX. No sale. Yeah, I know, it's YouTube and the clips are compressed and all that but the difference is very noticeable.

Digital may win one day. In fact, I hope it does for a whole host of reasons. Today is not that day.

That is only at his beginning. He perfects his tone every step. His live tone is great and he only uses a randall cab with two seventy/80's for monitoring. Maybe that is why you think "tubes win". They don't. He is a player and he sounds equally good now.

By the way the best metallica tone in history is axe fx post proccessed by any user. Digital wins. Any day...

giorikas81 said:
That is only at his beginning. He perfects his tone every step. His live tone is great and he only uses a randall cab with two seventy/80's for monitoring. Maybe that is why you think "tubes win". They don't. He is a player and he sounds equally good now.

By the way the best metallica tone in history is axe fx post proccessed by any user. Digital wins. Any day...
Is there an English translation of this somewhere? :?:

Yeah. This

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=357523&songID=7328981

No other clip I've heard was as focused and close to something like this. You have all sorts of guys that copy metallica's rig(? if you think of what it consists of and how it is miced it is impossible...) and do a good job of copying his playing at some degree. But the sound is not always there not for me. This? This comes really close. And it is all digital.

I have the Studio and Quad and here's my take FWIW:

The studio is "fuller" and "deeper" than the Quad when comparing the Studio's lead and L2 of the Quad.

I also think the studio has more OD articulation.

The studio falls short on three things for sure, when put up agianst the Quad: versatility, clean channel, and reverb. The shard EQ of the studio (at least in my unit) causes a big volume discrepency between clean and lead and the clean is usually seems to have a little hair on it (because of ther settings I have for the lead tone).

The Quad has an AMAZING clean channel and the accutronics reverb is intense. LUSH baby. While there still is a tad volume difference between CHs 1 and 2 on the Quad, it's not as noticeable as the studio IMO. Plus you get a Mark III lead on Ch 2.

So FWIW: If you need versatility and a pristine clean channel, go Quad. If you just want a really good Mark OD, go studio.

iceman said:
No other clip I've heard was as focused and close to something like this

I think this triaxis clip nails it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KsE5NZupc

however if you read in the comments it says

"Hopefully you can SEE the gear in the pics this time along with all the settings too. It still won't get you near this tone since I did a lot of post-EQ and compression in the mix, but it'll be in the ballpark."

but it still sounds good

I used to own a Studio and currently own a Triaxis and a Formula. The Triaxis is way more flexible tone wise than the Studio but besides that, the Triaxis gives you repeatability.
That's very important for me since I do most of playing in the studio. If I'm re-recording a track or punching in at a later date, I need to be able to get the exact tone I had on the previous take/track.

I did not particularly enjoyed the sound of the triaxis clip but id did sound fat enough. I think his playing was most on the spot than the actual sound. In its defense I must say that the axe-fx clip is also post-processed in the way hetfield scoopes out some of the midrange. But axe-fx being what it is can almost replicate the whole post processing part in the same device. !!!

Latest posts

Back