TriAxis tube swaps.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0aj15

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank TW and the others for their discussions on tube substitutions for the TriAxis. It finally spurred me to go out looking for some preamp tubes. Last saturday I went tube shopping and was surprised to find how few music stores carry tubes at all, let alone good or NOS tubes. All I was able to find that were useable in a TA were a GE Jan 6027A (12AY7) which I put in V2, and an EH 12AT7WC which I put in V3.
WOW what a pleasent surprise. This preamp now sounds much more like I want it to. I now have to do more homework and start buying some tubes. This could become expensive though because I have several more amps I want to do the same thing to.

Tube swapping can become very expensive. You'll probably find that you prefer different tube combinations in different amps. It helps to have a library of preamp tubes to draw from, but that's where the expense comes in.

Here's a tip, from personal experience, to save money on NOS 12AX7s: don't waste money on short-plate Mullard 12AX7 or Telefunken smooth-plate ECC83 - they're really not impressive, compared to many other, better, less-expensive choices.

Let me know if you have specific tone/character wishes, and I can try to direct you toward some choice tubes I've enjoyed. :D

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
Let me know if you have specific tone/character wishes, and I can try to direct you toward some choice tubes I've enjoyed. - T
Primarily I play blues, classic rock, and more and more jazz so I love the fact that the TA has two different clean channels. I really want to fine tune the cleans and as far as the dirty channels I'm not interested in anything that approachs metal, more along the lines of classic crunch. The two tubes I have swapped already have shown that the harshness can easily be tamed but I would like some ideas on quality tubes and where to get them online because there don't seem to be many retailers around here that carry them.

t0aj15 said:
Timbre Wolf said:
Let me know if you have specific tone/character wishes, and I can try to direct you toward some choice tubes I've enjoyed. - T
Primarily I play blues, classic rock, and more and more jazz so I love the fact that the TA has two different clean channels. I really want to fine tune the cleans and as far as the dirty channels I'm not interested in anything that approachs metal, more along the lines of classic crunch. The two tubes I have swapped already have shown that the harshness can easily be tamed but I would like some ideas on quality tubes and where to get them online because there don't seem to be many retailers around here that carry them.
It sounds as if we're on the same page with our sonic goals - I favor breathy, open cleans and sounds that can dynamically transition from bluesy cleans to crunchy mean. I suppose you read this thread already, where I laid out my tube choices for the different Triaxis positions. It has been over a year since I posted that, and despite my experimentation with probably 20 more tube types, I've not found a combo that unseats any of those original choices. Not that I've been "auditioning" crappy tubes, either.

It is important to have trusted sources. There are many internet dealers, and the ones that get my return business have fantastic customer service/support, responsive communication, and, of course, high-quality tubes. None of them have every tube option, so you may have to shop around for what you want. Don't be shy about asking them for something you don't see listed on their web sites, 'cause, in my experience, they don't always post everything they've got. Here's a list of some of my favorites:
Doug's Tubes
Tubemonger
Jim McShane
SND Tubes
KCA NOS Tubes

I've had mostly good experiences bidding on eBay, but you've really got to know the details of visual clues to look for there, just to be sure you get what you want. Also, check out the seller's past feedback real well, ask questions about tube testing results, and say a prayer for good luck (and no snipers!). Here's another useful eBay tip, from my own (worst) experience: avoid sellers named lotsoftubes, vintagevalvesetc, genuinetubes, and surpluselectronics2003 - they're all the same guy, from Gaylord Michigan, and he deserves to be banned from eBay for the kind of dealing he does (and which he's earned over 60 negatives for), but he keeps opening new eBay accounts and continuing under new aliases. The newest alias always has the fewest negatives, so be forewarned.

Sorry to conclude on such an ominous note. Sticking with the dealers above will be the best option, but NOS tube prices have risen, so peace of mind will cost you more. Might be worth it. Its definitely worth it for power tubes, in my opinion.

Oh, yeah, one last thing... I've got my notes from "tasting" something like 40-50 preamp tubes (mostly NOS), in my Triaxis, and I can forward those to you (Word document). Just PM me with your email address, if you're interested.

Cheers!

- T

Latest posts

Back