Triaxis gain control doesn't change

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcampbell

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Triaxis V2, Serial# T54XX that appears to have the gain "stuck on a high setting (8-10). I've tried to adjust the gain from the front panel, as well as using continuous controllers. On each program the amount of gain remains consistently high with no audible change when i try to reduce the amount; it's especially noticeable on the Rhythm modes. For example (with the other parameters set identically) factory preset 04 (clean) sounds the same as factory preset 06 (Vintage Amp cranked). The result is that the Triaxis only produces dirty tones, and I cannot alter the gain parameter. Also, using Rhythm modes, I believe a setting of 0 on the gain control should produce little or no sound however in this case the level doesn't change at all.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Swapped out the Triaxis with another preamp (Engl) to ensure the guitar, cable, and power amp were capable of producing a clean sound.
Used the front panel to set up sample clean tones.
Programmed controller parameters to attempt to reduce Gain control.

Anyone experience this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a triaxis too, and the general consensus is that when something goes awry with the preamp, it's pretty much ship to mesa. Am sure it's not what you want to hear...but...much better off having mesa fix it. My triaxis have had problems before, sent the unit to an authorized repair tech, eventually ended up with Mesa.

gummx97 said:
I've got a triaxis too, and the general consensus is that when something goes awry with the preamp, it's pretty much ship to mesa. Am sure it's not what you want to hear...but...much better off having mesa fix it. My triaxis have had problems before, sent the unit to an authorized repair tech, eventually ended up with Mesa.

That does frequently seem to be the case. I've lost count of the number of reports of people having their Triaxis repaired by and "authorised" service center, only to have it come back with the same problem or other problems. It seems like Mesa are the only people who have intimate enough knowledge, diagnostic equipment and parts to really get them back to full specs. Even though I live in Australia, I would send my Triaxis to Mesa Hollywood if it had a serious problem. The amount of time and money you waste having it not quite fixed at a service center would pay for the international shipping to Mesa.

Hi, I've got exactly this problem with my Triaxis, it's a V2, i am in the UK so emailed the authorised mesa reapir guy in the UK, he said he's had it before it is a control LDR (light dependent resistor or something like that). Mine is about to be shipped to him so I will update if it fixes it.

Mine does it intermittently - one day it will work normally, but after about half an hour of playing (half way through a gig) it will go loud on ther clean sounds as described above. When turning down the gain, the number responds but the sound stays on full gain and crunchy sound.

Cheers, Mat.

The most common issue, especially with the older Tris, is the ribbon cable connectors. You should try disassembling, cleaning the connectors and reassembling. May save you some down time and $$. Otherwise the processor may need to be changed out. I believe that is not an uncommon solution.

Latest posts

Back