Triaxis+EQ pedal question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexus

Reaction score
Hi
I´m looking answers how to use EQ with Triaxis.
I have 2:90/Triaxis + some od pedals in front of the Triaxis.
G-force at Triaxis effects loop.

I don´t like that DV at Triaxis because you don´t know exact values of the eq.
How does the signal go through the amp...
What is the place of that DV eq in Triaxis?
Where is the eq placed at mark series amps?
If I want the eq pedal to act like those, should it be in front of the amp?
Is Petrucci using any other eq?

Now I have used DV + G-force eq to get this done.
But I´m not sure is that effects loop right place for that kind of eq...

Maybe I´ll get MXR 10 band EQ... But where is the best place for it?
Or should it be somekind of rack unit? ( I have axess GRX4 loop switcher, so I can control pedals...and pedal would be much smaller)
Should I forget DV and g-forces eq, or use them all together?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

nexus said:
How does the signal go through the amp...
What is the place of that DV eq in Triaxis?
Read the Triaxis manual (Pg 7) for details but the signal chain goes something like this:
input>gain stage>eq stage>drive stage>master volume>on/off Loop>presence>DV>output>power amp
nexus said:
Where is the eq placed at mark series amps?
Before the presence and EQ in the preamp section.
nexus said:
If I want the eq pedal to act like those, should it be in front of the amp?
No. I always put my chorus, wah, and signal boost before the preamp. EQ is always in the loop, but that's my personal preference. Discover what works best for you and roll with it.
nexus said:
Is Petrucci using any other eq?
As far as I know, he just uses the EQ on the Mark V.

nexus said:
Maybe I´ll get MXR 10 band EQ... But where is the best place for it?
In the Loop.

I'm currently using this EQ with no other effects in the loop.

If you are using the G-Force then throw any old Boss EQ pedal in front of the G-Force and set it however you desire.

Thanks man!
That was so detailed post...
I have one old eq pedal DOD fx40-b... very old, but I´ll try it before g-force.

MesaGod666 said:
If you are using the G-Force then throw any old Boss EQ pedal in front of the G-Force and set it however you desire.
But would it be the same to use that G-force eq then?
What is the difference?

I actuall think that an EQ in front is always a good idea. It allows you to sculp your signal from your guitar prior to the amp. I use the MXR's in front of two of my preamps to give me greater control over the gain. Comp, EQ, O/D or Dist., then preamp would be the order you're looking for.

Thanks for the reply!

Now I tried that DOD eq at the front of the amp, and front of the g-force in the loop.
In the loop it effects much more and is easier to get good control of the sound.
This could be best for me.
I used Triaxis DV at 3 and eq V-shape to get my sound... still testing what could be the best combination.

Is the MXR best choice or is there something else?
It is 10band, so it´s better than boss.
My DOD is so old and it´s 7band...so maybe I replace that with something.

I don´t get that "front of the preamp" eq.
Why so many likes it?
To get that full control... maybe we need eq in front and in the loop...
Any opinions?

Any sound samples where the EQ is in front, on/off to hear the difference?

I like the MXR's for the money. Mark Humphrey Audio has a really nice modded 7 band that works well and doesn't have the hiss that many do. The EQ before your gain stage allows you to control which freqs at what level you'd like to build your gain structure around.

And I do use them in front and loop on my Recto, but just in front on the Studio being that it already has one just before the output stage.

RectoStudioGuy said:
And I do use them in front and loop on my Recto, but just in front on the Studio being that it already has one just before the output stage.
:idea: Now I´m getting the picture....
How about the pedals. Does the MXR have that hiss or something that could be a problem?
I may get that mono version.
Or how do you like that boss eq pedal, if I must get that... I can have that from my local store, but MXR would be nice and I have to order that from Germany.
I don´t need ANYmore noises in to my rack.

I´m sure that the EQ is one of the most underrated pedal/unit at the guitar setup, and if you can handle it right...it could be most valuable thing in your rack

I don't think the hiss is too aweful from an MXR, but I use a NR system to quiet things down. The mono is the way I go being that it's up front. The Boss GEQ-7 is ok but the Humphrey Audio mod really enhances it as well as making it quieter. In my 30+yrs exp, I've found through trial and lots of errors that an EQ can be the key to an otherwise mediocre sound from any amp. (combo, stack, or rack)

I got the MXR M-108 yesterday.
I think it´s great pedal and has no noises if you use it right.
I use it with voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus
Some times you have to make compromise between sound and noise if you are boosting that parameter that makes it.

Now just testing and lot of playing to get right values for me.

If someone has great "petrucci" settings for this pedal when used at loop, I would appreciate some advice.
Now I cut 500Hz and 1KHz -8db
31Hz all off
62Hz at 0
And boost the rest off lows and highs.

Thanks for your help!

If you tune in E standard that 62Hz won't have an audible note either but it could cause low freq noise.

Thats true.
I use D tuning and set 62hz to 0.
Don´t want to cut it because the tone loses balls then
Even played with Ernieballs.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back