Triaxis and Lexicon MPX G2 setup question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booyah

Reaction score
I have a Mesa 20/20, Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab (2- 16 ohm V30 Celestions) and a Lexicon MPX G2 coming and wanted some ideas on how to hook them up to my Traixis. My first thought was to hook the guitar straight into the G2 and run the Triaxis via the G2's insert and then off to the 20/20 but I'm reading thoughts from players who say it's best to run the G2 inside the Triaxis' effects loop instead. I got the G2 so I could run a compressor, gain, etc in front of my preamp where it should be and then have time based effects like delays & reverb after the preamp. From what I read the G2 can do all this, maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts out there in Boogie land?

You initial thought is the correct one. I have the same setup and that's exactly how it's designed to run.

Wow I didn't know there were multiFX designed with the "four cable method" (4CM) in mind. Nice. Agree with Danimal, run it the way you first described, that enables you to put stuff before and after the preamp.

Me either Jackie, found out about the G2 just recently and going to have to give it a try. I'll keep my G Major 2 as well for running diatonic harmonies and stuff that eat up big chunks of ram, the G2 is older and fills up fast from what I'm reading. Never really been happy with the G Major's effects overall, hoping this will do the trick. Ordered a Roland FC 300 to run it, like the idea of being able to switch each patches A/B with one of the control pedals and use the other for a solo boosts.

It's a great unit and was the first to actually be designed to run 4 cable. It's got some built in preamps that wouldn't be my first choice but would certainly be enough to get through a set should something happen to the TriAxis.

The Digitech RP-1000 is also designed specifically for the 4-cable method and has decent effects. However, as it lacks MIDI it was essentially useless for my needs.

First off the Lex is a wonderful piece of gear and I am confident you will absolutely love it no matter how you run it. I wish you many years of happy tweaking!

That being said...if you want to use it how it was meant to be used, you are correct...run into the dynamics side of the Lex first, come out, go into the Tri and then run into the time based part of the Lex. It can be a little complicated in terms of hook up and cables, but if I used one (and I thought about getting one years ago) that is exactly what I would have done. For whatever reason, I've never been a big fan of the Tri effects return circuit, I normally come out of the Tri's main stereo outs and directly into the "box o' fairy's dust"

I've been gigging with the Tri's record outs and a keyboard amp I doubt the effects return will bother me. Should be a nice improvement. As for the G2's drive section I'm hoping I'll find some settings I like enough to sell off my dual TS-808 stomp box. Not holding my breath there but will let you all know how this thing pans out for me. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back