TriAxis/ 290

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research and used the search function and everything. My question is: everyone says the best poweramp for the TA is the 2:90, but why is this? I know it's simulclass, and is most like a traditional mark's power section and all that. Would it still be the poweramp of choice if it didn't have the smart power i.e. modern, deep, and 1/2? I heard a demo of a man in France I believe playing the intro solo to the count of tuscant using the TA and a 50/50, and it sounded spot on.
And supposedly the red light version is more suited towards the TA, but in all of my reading noone ever stated why, or what sounds different between the two of them (red light/newer and blue light/older).

Thanks in advance for any answers on the subject!

I think it's mostly because the 2:90 and TriAxis we made to go together with the Deep, Modern, and Half drive options. I've never played through one so I can't comment, but through the 395 the sound is immense so I'm not looking to switch any time soon.

Like Danimal said it's probably because they weren't designed together. But the TriAxis is a great piece of gear it goes well with just about any poweramp, but it has a distinct flavor of course.

I don't use the voicing switches a lot, I have none engaged for my main live tones. I have modern here and there for more definition, deep&half drive I have on about 1 or 2 presets. So it's a great poweramp on it's own, yes. The voicing switches just add more versatility to the setup.

I think there is no difference in sound between the new and old version of the 2:90, just mechanic design differences (different Line/Instrument switch, SimulClass sockets in a different arrangement, detachable powercord (?), fuse on the back).

Thanks for the responses!

I'm torn between selling the 20/20 (which I love because it takes up a single space and is cheap to retune) and buying one of the larger Mesa power amps, or sticking with what I have. I absolutely love the idea of simulclass, but I don't know if it will be worth it to me to get one of those because of the 8 octal tube replacement ($$$$). I was thinking about the 50/50, but for a few dollars more it seems I could get a 290 or other Simul, and just hope I don't have to retube for awhile. I know I have had my Roadster for nearly 4 years and have never felt the need to retube it, and it has had a few gigs and other loud jamming times on it's tubes. I am leaning towards biting the bullet and selling the 20/20 and buying a 2:90 as soon as I am 100% sure I am keeping this TriAxis.

Also, do you guys run the power amps off of the output jacks or from the effects send jack? I am finding much better cleans from the effects loop send, and slightly bassier high gains there as well.

Edit: I did some more testing, and I feel running the power amp from the effects send makes the sound crunchier and has a little more top end than the regular outs.

I've always run from the output jacks. I may try the effects loop out though to see if I get the same nicer sounds you describe.

I know you said you're looking at a 20/20 but my take is if you can afford a 2:90 get it. It sounds great at any volume even without the half drive engaged. I had a 50/50 and it sounded really good as well but the 2:90 just has a bigger, fuller richer sound to it. I also feel that I had to turn the 50/50 up a bit more to get the tone I really want. The difference probably isn't massive and I'm sure you would get great tones out of either a 20/20 or 50/50. But for me, the 2:90 was a great bargain and with the added options of the voicing switches it was a no brainer.

Well I already have the 20/20 (which is for sale). I bought a 2:90 for the same price I bought my 20/20 for (a killer deal IMO). Both have their merits. For strictly clean sounds, I think the 20/20 is superior to the 2:90, at volumes below the EL84's clipping. With the Quad, I like the 20/20 for playing up the neck, but for leads and high gain rhythms, from both TA and Quad, I prefer the 2:90. The Simul grind and "slurring" sounds great, I can't wait to turn it up a little louder.

Has anyone done the EL34 in the Simul sockets and found it to be not enjoyable? I have a new quad of 6l6's, and 5 of the 8 6l6's in the amp are missing the key ways, and they are Sovteks, not Mesa tubes.

I just retubed mine with the EL34/6L6 combo. I can't say it's made a huge difference but it still sounds fantastic. If there is a difference I'd say there is a bit more "give" i.e. it's not as stiff as all 6L6 and maybe more full and rich sounding. To be honest, I'd have to A/B the two options and probably play louder than I can to really hear a big difference. Definitely a cool thing to do and can't hurt.

I think one of the other things is that if someone wants Mark type of sounds, that is at least the way the Mark V is (simulclass), then the 2:90 is the way to go.

JMMP said:
Thanks for the responses!

I'm torn between selling the 20/20 (which I love because it takes up a single space and is cheap to retune) and buying one of the larger Mesa power amps, or sticking with what I have. I absolutely love the idea of simulclass, but I don't know if it will be worth it to me to get one of those because of the 8 octal tube replacement ($$$$). I was thinking about the 50/50, but for a few dollars more it seems I could get a 290 or other Simul, and just hope I don't have to retube for awhile. I know I have had my Roadster for nearly 4 years and have never felt the need to retube it, and it has had a few gigs and other loud jamming times on it's tubes. I am leaning towards biting the bullet and selling the 20/20 and buying a 2:90 as soon as I am 100% sure I am keeping this TriAxis.

Also, do you guys run the power amps off of the output jacks or from the effects send jack? I am finding much better cleans from the effects loop send, and slightly bassier high gains there as well.

Edit: I did some more testing, and I feel running the power amp from the effects send makes the sound crunchier and has a little more top end than the regular outs.

Tri outputs - inputs of Eventide Eclipse - Eclipse outputs - 2:90 inputs (all in stereo)

Back