TriAxis/2:50 Rig - Initial Impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtThump

Reaction score
I spent ALOT of time this weekend with the new TriAxis/2:50 rig and I'm just not sure what to think yet. If I sit there for an hour or two tweaking at super loud volumes, I can get it sounding pretty good. But then I walk away and come back to it and I don't dig what I just did. lol...

It's been very aggravating. If I'm using the Mark series modes, the bass control gets alot of flub just like the real amps. I had a Mark III for a short while and I know to dial the bass in low, then kick it in using the graphic EQ. But this **** TriAxis doesn't have a graphic EQ and that's part of my frustration. It does have this "Dynamic Voice" feature, which simulates a graphic EQ setup with various settings, but none of them rock my world.

It seems that I either get a flubby tone with the right amount of lows or an icepick tone with highs that actually hurt my ears.

Could it be that I'm just not a Mark series kind of guy? That's what I'm thinking.

On a different note, the Recto mode that alot of people hate actually sounds pretty good to me. Reminds me of the Mark Cameron modded Marshalls I've heard with tons of distortion and a cutting treble voicing.

Ihhh, I dunno. I really want to like this rig, but I'm just not sure. I read all of the super positive reviews and discussions about it here and other sites and it seems like I SHOULD love it. I just don't know.

I'm used to play amps with "thick" tones (Stiletto, Einstein, Deliverance, Budda, etc...) and this Mesa is waaaaaaaaay different than those. It can get thick in a "muddy" sorta way, but not real pounding lows like alot of other amps I've owned.

Also, keep in mind that I'm only running one side of the 2:50 power amp, as my cab isn't stereo. I imagine that running both sides for a total of 100-watts would add SOME thump back into the tone, but I don't know that it would make that much of a difference.

Thoughts on anything I've said?

mesa_rig1.jpg

Also...

- The cab is a Bogner UberKabinet with V30s and 75s in an "x pattern"
- I replaced the tubes in the 2:50 with brand new Groove Tube 6L6GEs
- In the preamp, v1, v2 and v4 have new Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7s
- v3 has a Chinese 12AX7 and v4 has a JJ 12AX7
- The guitar used is an EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail.

SgtThump said:
I spent ALOT of time this weekend with the new TriAxis/2:50 rig and I'm just not sure what to think yet. If I sit there for an hour or two tweaking at super loud volumes, I can get it sounding pretty good. But then I walk away and come back to it and I don't dig what I just did. lol...

When you're making a tone,you can't seat and play for 2 hours,after 15 minutes your ears already losted treble recognition ,meaning you can't hear treble anymore.After 1 hour when you come back with your ears rested,obiously you will hate what you did.
Make a fast tone like maybe in 5 minutes.
Stop and rest for about 30 minutes .Now return and play.
You'll hear exactly what you did. :wink:
Listen to my samples maybe you like them !!
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9568
luck

It could be the many things: settings, bad tube, ear fatigue(which probably explains why it sounds good one minute and then bad the next), bad taste in tone :)

I suggest trying this: run the TA straight to the power amp (no effects or anything else in the way), plug your guitar straight into the TA, next turn the power amp volume all the way up and control the overall all volume with the master output on to TA (this will insure you are not clipping the input to the PA).

When experimenting with this piece you have to know how everything works(I still don't so I am just giving you what I have taken from the unit so far). Reading the manual helps but sometimes it is better to experiment on your own. I usually using each control one by one to see what it can do on it's own. If you are looking for more bass try running the patch's volume high (for me i sometimes have it at '7' in order to run the EQ lower) and start with the tone and gain on '0'. Decide what kind of tone you want (dry or saturated) by setting up the gain sensitivity. I then carefully dial in the tone. I suggest going one step at a time and start with whatever tone is lacking. Then when you have it 'almost there' and you need more thump but adding bass doesn't do it for ya hit the DV to 1 or 2 and it should do the trick. If you only use the DV to compliment the tone and not shape it I believe you will have what you are looking for or somewhat close.

I suggest doing this so you don't overload the EQ and turn it to mush. Running the treble high will add more gain to the signal (not something i particularly like since that's what the gain controls are for right?).

Get sample patches from here, download the artist presets, experiment on your own, have someone else help you, etc.

I don't run nearly the same set up as you but i get tones that I enjoy out of the TA. I run a 212 cab with a Eminence Gov and a Celestion GK85 powered by a 20/20 power amp.

Maybe you should start by going from a low volume for experimentation purposes (and so you don't go deaf) until you find some tones that you like.

Great suggestions. I'll try some of them soon. Thanks! Anymore info from anyone else?

Hey Sarge, do you have any kind of recording setup at home? Since I am primarily a studio guy these days I never trust a tone until I put it on tape and come back to it later.

What Sombra said is totally right. At even a fairly low volume for an amped guitar, you will blow treble recognition right out of your skull quite shortly and it will take a while to come back. I have recorded sooo many clean tracks that sound warm and sweet when I finally feel like I have nailed the take, then when I come back to mix it's "plink plink plink clatter plink".

Turn down the volume, go to headphones if you can, and just sort out what the different tone controls do in different combinations. If you have some way to do a decent recording, just lay down a few rhythm tracks and noodle away (again, at low volume.)

Finally, the manual. When I had a TA I didn't have a manual, but I have found it to be a real help with my Rec Pre.

CoG said:
Hey Sarge, do you have any kind of recording setup at home? Since I am primarily a studio guy these days I never trust a tone until I put it on tape and come back to it later.

What Sombra said is totally right. At even a fairly low volume for an amped guitar, you will blow treble recognition right out of your skull quite shortly and it will take a while to come back. I have recorded sooo many clean tracks that sound warm and sweet when I finally feel like I have nailed the take, then when I come back to mix it's "plink plink plink clatter plink".

Turn down the volume, go to headphones if you can, and just sort out what the different tone controls do in different combinations. If you have some way to do a decent recording, just lay down a few rhythm tracks and noodle away (again, at low volume.)

Finally, the manual. When I had a TA I didn't have a manual, but I have found it to be a real help with my Rec Pre.

Thanks for the advice! I do have a recording rig at home, but my mics and stuff aren't here right now. I've done ALOT of recording in my life and I know what you mean. I have three tests when deciding on a rig:

- How it sounds at home
- How it sounds recorded
- How it sounds live on stage

I play loud at home all the time. I can get away with it and I prefer it! I know what you're saying about blowing your ears out, though. It could be as simple as the tone of the TriAxis just not being for me. Not sure yet.

I'll get more play time in this week and weekend and report back. But as always, I'm open to any other input!

Chris

Just finished playing a little tonight at low levels (it's getting late.) Tonight, the rig sounded pretty good. One thing I changes is to run the volume knob on the TriAxis lower than normal (was running it around 7 and now around 2), then increase the volume of the power amp (as suggested above by "disassembled.")

Ya know, this may have made a difference. It sounded good tonight for some reason and I don't know if it's my ears or if reducing the output from the TriAxis made a difference.

Either way, thanks!

Chris

Cause the poweramp is pushed to work harder...Try SimulClass 290..Sound even better than the 250...

ANother thing you may want to try is using an external EQ. An EQ does wonders for the Triaxis - offers a lot more tonal possibilies.

Tuna141 said:
ANother thing you may want to try is using an external EQ. An EQ does wonders for the Triaxis - offers a lot more tonal possibilies.

Yeah, I believe an external EQ would help ALOT! I have a Furman PQ3 parametric, but haven't used it with the TriAxis yet.

I use the philosophy that if the core tone just isn't for me, I'm not going to appy an EQ to it to make it work. I know what you're saying though and thanks for the input!

Chris

SgtThump said:
Tuna141 said:
I use the philosophy that if the core tone just isn't for me, I'm not going to appy an EQ to it to make it work. I know what you're saying though and thanks for the input!

Chris

I think you are right. Sounds like the Triaxis is not for you..although I've come across alot of players that have been dissapointed with the TA/2:50 combo. personally 've never tried the 2:50.

But, when I first plugged in to a TA with a 2:90, it was instant gratification. And that was using the factory presets. I was even more gratified when I hooked up my TA to a 20/20.

So yes, it sounds like the Mark tones are not for you, which is what the TA is based on.

It's a nice preamp, so don't get me wrong. It's just not for me. Just put the rig up for sell.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9617

Latest posts

Back