TransAtlantic speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadfootdriver said:
Wow. This forum really rolls...
LOL agree 100%
I haven't tried it yet but, I would love to try a celestion green back or a celestion blue. I did like the stk speaker in the 1x12 too.

I found a gutted ( no amp head ) Super Reverb Cabinet on craigslist out here in Vancouver, Wa. It has two Jensen alnico blues and 1 celestion G 10-60 and 1 G 10-70 in it (a steal for a buck forty, the speakers are worth more than that ).The previous owner was using it with a Tiny Terror but the new baby had come and a compromise was agreed to with his wife. The Back has been closed completely and face plate hole has been closed up. Works really fine though it's certainly not pretty. This is the my choice, it really gives me everything I'm looking for from this Amp. Let's all the vintage goodness thru. I use it mainly in the 5 and 15 watt modes.

I haven't really figured out the hi gain boogie mode yet, haven't spent any time with it in this amp but I have that in other Boogie amps that I own.

I've also used it with my Vibro King 2 12 bottom Extension cab and thats nice too, smoother than the Tens and some what nicer to look at.

When I first bought it I used it with one of my Bag End single 12 cabs with a Gauss in it, did not care for that combination at all.

I Dream of a two ten Tone Tubby cab with one alnico and one ceramic, but that will have to wait till I replenish the bank account some..

I tried a WGS ET65, and it's really great. How did I not find this speaker earlier? That's cool that you found a unique cab to work with. Me on the other hand have a vertical 2x12 slant coming from Lopo. I also have some Mesa MC-90's coming that I will try out.

I finaly got my little 2x12 in. It looks nice. I have WGS Green Beret's in there now. They need to be beaten on a bit to break the new harshness, but I'm basically getting Van Hallen's 1984 tone from the Hi 1 mode.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Yeah man, I finally got to play it loud, and it rips! It has a 3D vibrant sound that cuts in the mix. The Hi1 mode in 25 watt is great. And it's loud!

Great sounding amp.

For your passing interest, my speaker plan is a single celestion blue (15 watt, 8 ohms) in an oversized open back 1 x 12 cab.

Here's how I think it would match the various settings in 15 watt & 5 watt. The channels that I most often

use are marked with an asterik (*)

Ch1 Normal: Good
Ch1 Top Boost*: Very Good
Ch2 Tweed*: Very Good
Ch2 H1*: Good
Ch2 H2: Ok

I haven't needed the volume of the 25 watt yet, but in the future I'd consider another oversided 1 x 12 cab with either another celestion blue or maybe a greenback (2 x 8 ohms in parallel give 4 ohms). That way I'd have a choice of single speakers and push them hard in 15 & 5 watt mode or parallel together for playing loud!

The other advantage of doing it this way (2 single cabs) is to spread the cost - those speakers are not cheap! Then then of course either stack the cabs or move them about to get better spread.

I play blues and classic rock mainly (Queen/ Led Zep/ Hendrix) although I don't play in a tribute band so I am not trying to exactly mimic the tones.

Currently I have a 1x12 Century Vintage (very light weight grab and go!) and a 2x12 with Vintage 30 and Classic Lead . The Celestion Blues will open up a different sound I reckon.

Comments welcome!

I use a 112 sourmash with a green baret about half the time, and I love the way it sounds. Haven't tried it with a greenback yet, but the knock off sounds great at half the price.

I play it through an orange 212 as well, but actually like the sound from the other cab more.

Latest posts

Back