tone suggestions - pickups / tubes for roadster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyster

Reaction score
I own a Roadster now (YAY! :D ), and I am finding that the 500T/496R pickups I put recently on my LP Standard are too bright and lack a sweet open midrange punch that I desire...

The original Burstbucker Pros that came on the LP Standard were nice but not "open" sounding enough (ie. not enough harmonic content?)...I thought that going to the very hot ceramics would achieve that -while they brightened the sound I don't think they are giving me a decent midrange response. In addition the hot pickups tend to accentuate the high end "buzz" coming from the Roadster which I would like to reduce if possible while still maintaining a good open tone.

So I need some advice.
Do I swap the 500T/496Rs out for:
- Burstbucker Pros that came with the LP originally (but I found didn't sound "open" enough) - or
- Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (bridge) and SD Pearly Gates (neck)

Help would be appreciated guys so feel free to chime in on this.

I am also considering playing around with the tubes, and whether swapping tubes to JJs of some sort might help, in particular to eliminate the "buzz" that I get from crunchy & overdriven tones on the Roadster. Is this possible to do? I love the heavily overdriven tones from the Roadster and the buzz doesn't matter as much when using such tones, but that buzz appears in mildly overdriven tones and annoys me a bit.

I really like the 57's in my older Historic LP. They have just the right amount of "bite" yet still retain that "bell-like" quality that let's the sound of the wood through.

peace,
-d

Rio Grandes coil tapped in my Mcnaught VSC sounds amazing with my RK2. Imagine the same would be true for a LP with a Roadster. Not the hottest of pickups, but more along the lines of what you describe. Can't say enough good things about them (or the RKs or Mcnaughts for that matter).

BB

Latest posts

Back