Tolex glue question... Advice please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
I re tolexed my DC 3 a few years ago. Used mojo tolex glue and seemed to work pretty well with the exception of the edges. Most of the ends have begun to peel up a bit especially on the top rear where it gets hot.
Any recommendations in what I could use to just glue the edges back down? Though about rubber cement. My only concern is if something like that might be flammable since it gets so hot.? Would like to use something that works pretty quick and is readily available locally.
All help is appreciated.

I used a product called tear mender by Bish's Original to do a quick repair on the edges of my Mark IV. When I re-wrapped it I used 3m contact cement. So far it all seems to hold up pretty well.

Use contact cement and somehow clamp it. For irregular edge use blue painting tape if you have to. And when it dries, pull the tape off carefully.

It would have to get pretty hot to start a fire. If your tolex is opening up, usually when you applied the glue, you either applied too much or you applied it to quickly not allow the glue to become tacky. But even if you applied with a proper drying time and amount it may still open up because of various reason. :x

Next time you do a tolex job, purchase Titebond Contact Cement. If possible purchase the solvent type. The water-based type is a bit tricky to use. The Mojo brand is actually contact cement renamed from cabinet builders I've talked with.

I don't know if I got a bad batch... But I was a little curious when I started the project. The mojo glue had the consistency of water. Didn't seem at all like the contact cement in used to using. Very thin. Thoughts???

I have yet to go the Mojo Sound site to see exactly what type it is. But did you stir the mixture really well?

I'm pretty sure Mojo Sound is water-based contact cement the way you described it. It is a bit runny.

The tip is after stirring it thoroughly and when you apply it to both surface, allow to dry until it becomes tacky. This may take like 20 minutes or more, unlike solvent type which takes just a little over 5 minute @ 70 deg. If the application looks a bit thin, you may need a second coat.

Note : good thing about water-based contact cement, it does not soften and stretch tolex like solvent contact cement. Because when you use solvent contact cement, you'll think you did a good tolex job only to have the tolex shrink and the seams to show down the road.

But solvent contact cement is easier to use. So that's the trade-off.

I'm pretty sure that the MojoTone stuff is just DAP Weld Wood water soluble contact cement.
It works really well, but you can get the Weld Wood for around $13 a quart.

The last 4 amps I have recovered were done with the Weld Wood and they are all very nice.

Water soluble contact cement will not really set up well if you are in 90% humidity though....
I just recovered a Tremoverb combo cab a couple of weeks ago and it didn't really set up very well. There was a huge storm and the humidity was really bad......

Latest posts

Back