Timefactor/Modfactor vs G Major 2 / Nova Sys - Help please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L5man

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an effects newbie, looking for help on studio class effects. I play mostly jazz styles, a little rock and blues with a multitude of archtop / 335's / and Nik Huber guitars thru EVM-equipped Mark IIC+ and Mark IV combos with an EVM Thiele extension. I want to use the Marks for pre-amp and post-amp, so I don't care about modeling or distortion effects. I want to use the effects loops and have stereo capability. I play mostly at home and in a home studio (under construction).

I'm considering going the Eventide route (Timefactor first followed by Modfactor, someday Pitchfactor), but am still interested in the TC Electronic G-Major 2 and the Nova System. I've been to most of the forums / you-tube demos etc I could find. I'm concerned about the chip problem on the Nova System, and it seems to want to be in the front-end vs in the effects loop. G Major 2 seems like a good choice with updated effects from G System, but is fairly new. I have no experience with racks and programming, but am not concerned. With G Major 2, I'd likely try the 4CM. With all, I'd get a good expression pedal (recommendation?) followed by a Midi pedal. G-major 2 would get a small rack at some point in time. With Eventide, I'd still need some other stand-alones (tuner, compression / noise gate, possible dist/OD) to round out the capability.

Anybody out there have experience with these units that can provide me with some color - contrast and compare?

Thanks a bunch,
Gary

I had the G-major 2 and it is a nice unit, and sounds good has lots of cool effects that you can tweak (but i mainly use delay and some chorus so most of the effects i ended up not using). it has channel switching which you can use with your mark iv. I was running my mark iv with a voodoo lab GCX and Ground control pro, g-major 2, boss and ns2. Its a good setup that gives you the ability to take control of all your amps features. A rack may be overkill for your needs but only you can decide that for yourself.

A few months ago i decided to sell all the rack stuff to pay bills and I simplified my setup. After much research and comparisons I bought the Eventide Timefactor. I am really happy with the timefactor and am glad i got it.

timefactor vs G-major 2:
IMO i think the delays in the timefactor had a little more clarity. There a other pros and cons with each but both are great units.

Racks are expensive but are nice. I hate moving gear so i opted to move everything to the floor and have one less piece of gear to move. I have plans to midify my setup with the RJM mini amp gizmo and Mastermind. Pairing them with the timefactor will give me all the sounds and control i would want.

gary: can't comment on the systems but I'm a big fan of Timefactor. If you were gassing for a deal, Laskyman in Classifiedes is selling his Modfactor for $300. I think he just bought it so it must be like new.

I think the quality of the effects on the eventide pedals are going to be a little more top notch than the G-major 2 but the G-major 2 will switch channels on your amp.

Also, you said you wanted to try 4CM with a G-major 2 but there really is no 4CM for G-majors(1 or 2). There is no loop on a G-major that you can put a preamp into. It's just made to be in the effects loop of your amp.

The g-majors can have freezing problems too. Mine does. I don't know yet if the G-major 2's are having similar issues.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm leaning more heavily now towards the "Factor" series. Probably start with the Timefactor, then need to decide Mod or Pitch order. The nice thing about the G-Major 2 would have been the integration factor, incl. compressor / Noise and some of the pitch effects as well. Those will have to be discretes. Anyone with Timefactor experience have any feelings about the usefullness of the onboard looper? It's not in any of the online demo's, is reputed to be somewhat complicated to use, and only handles very short sequences.

I have the Nova delay, that's pretty awsome as well :)

I sold my G-FORCE and went back to a floor effects setup.

I have a Nova Delay and Modfactor (both for sale btw). Both are incredible pedals. The Timefactor has more features than the Nova, but the Nova is an incredible value, and very, very clean delay lines- super versatile.
The Modfactor will flat-out own the TC for Modulations. Probably the most powerful Modulation pedal ever made, and possibly the last mod pedal you will ever buy.
I miss out already, but made a decision and can not turn back (I promised my Wife...).

Just curious... the Eventide pedals you can use pre-selected settings but can you use them at the same time?? For example on the Modfactor can you use a phaser with a chorus??

Recently started looking at Eventide pedals so totally new beast.

Just curious... the Eventide pedals you can use pre-selected settings but can you use them at the same time?? For example on the Modfactor can you use a phaser with a chorus??

No- just one effect at a time, but I honestly didn't feel the need to overlay effects because there is so much to the Eventide effects- the Modfactor is very musical in its own right. There is so much you can do with a modulation that once you dial it in, you can focus your playing around those sounds if you know what I mean...

Latest posts

Back