Thoughts on these tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be buying some new tubes here shortly (For a Mark IVA) and figured I would swing my selections by you guys to see if anyone had any other recommendations.

Here she goes:

V1: Mullard or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V3: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V4: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
PI: 12AT7 of some sort, primarily looking at Penta with balanced triodes, however I am not sure yet.
Power: SED Winged 6L6GC's and EL-34s

My main goals:
I am looking for a great lead tone. Harmonically rich, strong sustain, and smooth. I'd like to have a good amount of distortion, but I am not looking for anything super heavy, primarily something similar to Petrucci's tone.

So if you were going to retube for a good lead tone, would this selection look to be about right?

why the AT7 in the PI slot? I'd stick with a good 12ax7.

if you're trying to gain some clarity and drop the gain just a little, try a NOS JAN Phillips 5751 in v1 or v2. they also make a great PI and they're not too much more than the premium modern tubes ($20 each).

tung sols and C9s are a good idea to experiment with too so I agree with you there. maybe get a few of all 3 types (phillips, ts, chinese) and start swapping.

The Tung-Sol 12AX7 is New Sensors new and improved version of the original Mullard.

I'm going for Tung-Sol 12AX7s and 6V6s and SED 6L6s and EL34s.

Oh, also I prefer 5751s over 12AT7s. Until Tung-Sol comes out with one, probably just as good with a EH Gold/Sovtek 5751.

a mullard might give you a more rich lead tone, sure. give it a shot. as for the PI slot, i swapped a 12ax7 for a 12at7 and liked the results. not a huge difference mind you, not like changing speakers. good luck!

Hey guys,

I am going to be buying some new tubes here shortly (For a Mark IVA) and figured I would swing my selections by you guys to see if anyone had any other recommendations.

Here she goes:

V1: Mullard or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V3: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
V4: Shuguang or Tung-Sol 12AX7
PI: 12AT7 of some sort, primarily looking at Penta with balanced triodes, however I am not sure yet.
Power: SED Winged 6L6GC's and EL-34s

My main goals:
I am looking for a great lead tone. Harmonically rich, strong sustain, and smooth. I'd like to have a good amount of distortion, but I am not looking for anything super heavy, primarily something similar to Petrucci's tone.

So if you were going to retube for a good lead tone, would this selection look to be about right?

In my humble opinion you have recieved great advice from the previous posts. There are as many right solutions to your questions as your ears can like... One can take the recommendations of others at face value and end up very pleased and simultaneously explore the possibilities of Mad Scientist personal experimentation, depends on how leaky your wallet is...and how finicky your ears are!

When revoicing a Mesa preamp, it's helpful to consult the owner's manual, available on the Mesa website as a download if not already in your hands. From that manual or from the amp's schematic it's possible to learn what each tube's assignment is in the preamp. For instance, in my Maverick the first position tube in the lead or dirty channel is v2. The first position tube in the lead OR clean channel gives the most dramatic effect on tone when changed out, but if there is a second preamp tube in a given channel it needs some consideration as well. It makes a copy of the first tube's signal and passes it on down the tone chain.

If you want to try a Mullard, I humbly suggest trying a REAL one, not the reissue first. Then you will know what a "Mullard" tone really is. A real honest to goodness Mullard shortplate 12ax7 will bring the exact tonal qualities you are seeking in spades. They are legendary for a reason...With that said, purchasing vintage old stock tubes on eBay is a crapshoot, expect one out of three to not work well due to microphonics or other issues. If you can willingly accept that risk you can be a very happy camper in the long run. The vast majority of ebay sellers use tube testers only and do not check for microphonics or sonics in a real amplifier circuit. I have found the reward well worth the risk.

If your ears like sounding like many good sounding others in tone, go for the new production tubes. If your ears like sounding like YOU, go the vintage old stock route and try as many different types as you have conscience in spending your hard earned cash. If your tastes in tone change for some reason it's quick and easy to swap out tubes from your accumulated collection as well. If you are lucky, you have some guitar tube collecting buddies that might loan you some different vintage makes for tube rolling, then get your own of what you like...It's a great idea to have an amp tech as a good personal friend! The tech might have a few used vintage tubes rolling around in a box at the shop from retube jobs.

One thing about the PI position, a balanced set of triodes can add to sustain, at the upper limit of clean headroom especially, if the circuit parts going to and from each set of triodes are balanced as well on each side. It's not just the tube.

Best of luck to you!

I seem to remember the "A" version of the MkIV called for a 12AT7 in V4 for the reverb. They changed it to a 12AX7 for the "B" versions though. I would probably use a balanced 12AX7 in the V5 phase inverter socket. Otherwise, your setup looks good. :D

Thanks for the input guys. I have been reading various reviews of tubes and I think that I will definitely do the SED power tubes, I think I am going to go with the Mullard/Tung-Sol setup in the preamp and a balanced PI after more research. It seems like they should be able to get the tone I want.

As I started looking into 12AT7s for a balanced PI I saw the Mullards and Jan Philips models. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? They seem like they could possibly work for my preferences, but I'd like to see if someone has used them first hand.

212Mavguy: You piqued my interest with the vintage Mullard 12AX7. I am really tempted to pick a couple up. I think I may save that for the near future though because I am a little strained monetarily at the moment and those VOS Mullards seem to be a little pricey, especially if they may not be working. I am not afraid of dropping the money on them though and I think collecting some vintage tubes could be pretty cool.

Again, thanks for the input dudes! :D 8)

Latest posts

Back