Thinking of getting new pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveycrocketofmetal

Reaction score
Ok guys, got a Les Paul with Emg's. The previous owner installed them and I dont think he did the best job of wiring them as I get some weird grounding hum + I'm burnt out on EMG"S= Christmas present for me. /
I play mostly rock/metal and would like some suggestions for a set of P'UP's.
In the past Ive had Seymour Duncan screamin demon, which was so-so, duncan distortion which I thought was too muddy, Emg 60/middy, EMG 81, uninspiring , Emg 85 current and dont care for, Dimarzzio x2n which I actually dig, and gibson 490 which I actually kind of liked as well. Any of you guys try the dimebucker or petrucci's new pick up's? (Kind of leaning towards the rail style as I liked the x2n) . Mostly just want a good higher output pickup maybe a little on the brighter side , but with good bottom end that isnt muddy, harmonic grabber a must.

Ever tried the Duncan JB? I just put one in my Carvin and that thing has some serious bite to it. One thing to consider is the pot value that you use: 500k will be brighter than 250k.

I have had all of those pickup combos at some point or another. i put a set of rio grande crunchbox B and punchbox N in my ltd h-400 and i think they are amazing! Clear, harmonic and articulate.

See there website for clips and info. I have also played in a friends guitar the Tallboy in a ltd Eclipse which sounded massive and a Muy Grande in an SG style guitar. The BBQ sounded good as well but not a high output pickup.

www.riograndepickups.com
I have no affiliation with them. I have played numerouse Duncans, Dimarzio's and Emg's and none have been what i was looking for. 1.5 years with the rio's and havent looked back

can't go wrong with a set of bill lawrence.
just gotta know what sound you're looking for, and they'll dial you right in.

Back