The Stiletto Series ISN'T too thin... has to be said

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissmyaxe

Reaction score
I can't speak for the stiletto deuce stage I. But i had the chance to try out Stiletto Ace this afternoon and from what i've been told, the stiletto ace is a stiletto deuce stage II, only 50 watts. I played this amp along side a roadking, both amps are from different worlds, but in my opinion the Ace killed the roadking in terms of a standalone amp. The roadking was looser than the balls on a moose, muddy and sounded like it would require a lot of outside influence with EQs and such to tighten it up, whereas the Ace was tight and punchy with tons of tone and a great clean channel. If you have a problem with the Ace being thin, simply throw the toggle switch to Fat and problem solved. At home I'll sit down and play anything from the Black Keys, to Megadeth and when the mood hits me right... a little Fall Of Troy, the Ace does it man... it really does and for lead tone..... there's no question, if you like to shred (i do), you can shred.

The ace will not do Korn, Coal Chamber, In Flames (Modern In Flames), any modern day over saturated metal it will not do, everything else it will do, it is VERY versatile and I'm going to be going with it in my rig. I like my metal and didn't want to lose out on it by buying an amp without enough low end, and when i read the reviews and heard the online demos of the Ace and The Deuce Stage II, I really cringed and was really on the fence about buying one because the talk and tone was just about it being too thin. Dudes... you have to go try these amps in person, you have to sit down and play them all the way from the 1 position, to 10... wow, don't go by the online demos cause none of them do the Stiletto Series justice. I read one review that said the if you were on the fence about the Stiletto series, to go with it and just buy it because you wouldn't regret it... it seemed reckless and silly to suggest at first, but **** it makes sense now. ONLY thing i could say negative about the ace or the deuce stage II, is that it is lacking a 3rd channel, and it should've been included in the design. Anyway, off to buy this bizzzatch I go. Take care.

Awesome, glad you love it! I don't know if I agree about rectos being super muddy and loose (unless you dial them in wrong) but the Stilettos are, by all accounts, great amps.

Before you drop your $$$s, do yourself a favour and try the Mesa Electra Dyne. Think Blackface cleans + Plexi hotrodded to hell gains. (Others think the gains sound like an orange amp) I'm not saying you will like it better, but this will definitely convince you that you are making the right decision!

Have a great day!

I personally feel the stilettos are some of the best amps mesa has ever made and im pissed at myself for getting rid of mine. GAS ruins many realationships :oops:

Ill add that my trident was the most difficult amp ive ever known to dial in and get to know. I hated it for a month or 2 but I eventualy fell in love with it. Once you figure it out, it NOT too bright. Its NOT harsh. Its NOT too thin - though it could beneifit from a depth mod. Tracks fast as hell. Handles deep drop tunings better than anything ive ever heard. Doesnt crap out. Neck pups actually sound clear insted of muddy. The clean ch is very very good for an EL34 amp. Has a great feel simular to a mark

That was the big plus for me was the neck pick-up comin' through like a dream on this amp. I have an Orange Rocker 30 at home with JJs in it, i find it does ONE sound PRETTY well, but in my opinion, an over rated amp. This amp is not verstile at all, and flipping to the neck pick-up on this amp sounds like someone snuck up from behind it and muffled it's yap with a back catcher's mitt. I HAD a sweet deal on an Emerald Stiletto Deuce II... but the seller pulled out of the deal at the last second, he probably saw that this amp was far too sweet to let go, so I'm now back on the prowl for a Deuce II.

I know exactly what you mean...I played a MarkIIC+ for years. Holding on to that valuable of an amp became a burden. Especially when it comes to that specific of a sound you want. And with constant gigs, you really risk something happening to your rare gem. That potentially could a be a financial disaster..not to mention trying to find another one of those. If some A-hole takes my ACE..I can track one down in 2secs.

However, after owning and trying tons of Mesas and Others; the stiletto ACE was the best sounding for my style. The gain is as articulate as a C+ (when used the right way) but with more of a mordern feel. The cleans definately are some of the best cleans. I sort of like a tad bit of grit to mine.

I don't feel like the stiletto needs another channel as much as it would have been better to make it more switchable within itself. I.E. Tite Gain > Fluid Gain or CH1: Clean > Crunch. Ya know one of those 2 1/2 channel amps. Much like the early marks with the shared settings. This amp really is all about the "player" though. If you play well, the ACE is definatley a key player to your team of tone lol.

hahaha ya. I was thinking the same thing about the Ace and the Deuce II in regards to making it more switchable within itself. I'm going to assume that if Mesa doesn't drop the Stiletto line, that they will move to adding a 3rd channel or make switching between channel modes more accessible.

droptrd said:
Or better yet IMO, a GEQ like the marks and DCs. That would make it the sh!t!

Now let's not over complicate things.
You can stuff any EQ you want in the *** - it likes it!! It's fair to say that the stiletto like it (pedals) in the *** lol!!.

baaaaahahahaha. **** i want a stiletto, someone sell me one already! i had a line on a sweet one, but buddy pulled out at the last second, he decided against selling it.

You can stuff any EQ you want in the *** - it likes it!! It's fair to say that the stiletto like it (pedals) in the *** lol!!.[/quote said:
I'll never be able to look at my Stiletto the same way any more after that description. :oops:
:lol:

kissmyaxe said:
...I really cringed and was really on the fence about buying one because the talk and tone was just about it being too thin. Dudes... you have to go try these amps in person, you have to sit down and play them all the way from the 1 position, to 10... wow, don't go by the online demos cause none of them do the Stiletto Series justice. I read one review that said the if you were on the fence about the Stiletto series, to go with it and just buy it because you wouldn't regret it... it seemed reckless and silly to suggest at first, but f%&# it makes sense now.

Interesting you would assume that people who said it was thin hadn't actually tried it in person, while at the same time, you only sat down with one yourself for like, what, a few minutes(?) and drew up your own set of conclusions.

I actually owned an Ace combo for about 8 months. Took that thing all over the place. Played it at home, band rehearsals, gigs, jam sessions, etc. Guess what. Too thin. And this was primarily in a band that covered mostly Marshally classic & modern rock--should have been a slam dunk for that amp. Tried different guitars, even got some NOS Siemens tubes, ran through all the settings, loop in, loop out, etc. The ONLY way I got that thing to sound good was to switch the loop out, put it on clean with low gain, and dime the master, AC/DC style. But that was useless as it was way too loud for any real-life practical application. I could have changed the speaker, but I was fed up at that point, especially because I also noticed some weird buzzy overtone that, once I heard it, I couldn't un-hear it and it drove me nuts from then on.

But this is all just my opinion. Hope it works out for you because I hear they're supposed to be pretty good amps.

droptrd said:
Soo....what part of the amp would be concidered the "***"?

I think he is talking about an EQ in the FX loop in the rear of the amp.
That being said, I'd hate to think what part of the human anatomy those toggle switches on the front amp would be referred as.
They are either in the down position or the "straight up" position. :shock:

Riff Blister said:
droptrd said:
Soo....what part of the amp would be concidered the "***"?

I think he is talking about an EQ in the FX loop in the rear of the amp.
That being said, I'd hate to think what part of the human anatomy those toggle switches on the front amp would be referred as.
They are either in the down position or the "straight up" position. :shock:
:lol: :lol:

I never ever thought a Stiletto thin.

Bright.

yes.
ear piercing bright.

definitely not thin.

I miss my Stiletto. It recorded amazingly well i thought.

Back