The Roadster Blues...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda skimmed the thread, so sorry if this was mentioned before, but have you tried bypassing the FX loop? I went from kinda liking my Recto to in love with the Recto once I bypassed the loop. Knocked down the fizz but left all of the bite and presence in tact, IMHO.

I couldn't seem to get the tone I wanted out of the roadster I had. I ended up selling it and getting a second triple rec. No regrets here!

cardinal said:
I kinda skimmed the thread, so sorry if this was mentioned before, but have you tried bypassing the FX loop? I went from kinda liking my Recto to in love with the Recto once I bypassed the loop. Knocked down the fizz but left all of the bite and presence in tact, IMHO.

I had tried that when I first got the amp and didn't notice any difference at all. Perhaps back then I just didn't want to believe it and didn't spend much time exploring that option. However, I tried it again the other day and it indeed made a huge difference in tightening up the sound. It now sounds much closer to how it sounded with the fx loop engaged at high-volume, but a low volumes.

I've decided to put it up for sale regardless as I would rather have a head and cab.

Another little update: with the effects loop OFF and the Spongy mode ON this thing is super punchy and has a bit more clarity, even at relatively (for a recto) low volumes. I'm starting to dig this thing a little more each time I plug in. I'm gonna mess around with the preamp tubes a little as I think I put the high-gain JJ into V1 when it should have gone into V3...

I am sure I came into this late but I, like many, placed a Tung Sol into V1. I never looked back, sounds great

thejay said:
I am sure I came into this late but I, like many, placed a Tung Sol into V1. I never looked back, sounds great

How did the Tung Sol change the sound compared to the stock Mesa preamp tube in V1? Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.

The sound was sharper and more defined from what I recall, seemed last dark overall. I am sure others can chime in on this one. I changed the tube years ago and never looked back. I also run the amp on EL34s… I am big british amp fan so this helps channel 2 in a big way though I would say it does change the sound of the others as well, use with caution. I personally use the amp in 'spongy' and on 50w most of the time since I play at home these days.

Well, I think that I've had a change of heart. Now that I've put all the tubes in the right order (per Bob's original instructions) and turned off the fx loop, I find that this amp is really great sounding. I now have one of the best clean channels I've ever played through, a super smooth yet articulate vintage ch3, an OK Brit sound (will probably set ch2 up for an alternate clean as the Brit is just too stiff for my liking), and a monster of a ch4 modern with great cut (thanks to the KT combo), bass, and a mean-*** growl!

It's times like these that I wish I had access to good recording equipment, as I'd like to share.

And the volume is no longer an issue as this thing sounds good at low enough volumes even for my condo. Luck has it that I may be moving into a house soon so I'll be able to really open it up!

Apoc said:
Well, I think that I've had a change of heart. Now that I've put all the tubes in the right order (per Bob's original instructions) and turned off the fx loop, I find that this amp is really great sounding. I now have one of the best clean channels I've ever played through, a super smooth yet articulate vintage ch3, an OK Brit sound (will probably set ch2 up for an alternate clean as the Brit is just too stiff for my liking), and a monster of a ch4 modern with great cut (thanks to the KT combo), bass, and a mean-*** growl!

It's times like these that I wish I had access to good recording equipment, as I'd like to share.

And the volume is no longer an issue as this thing sounds good at low enough volumes even for my condo. Luck has it that I may be moving into a house soon so I'll be able to really open it up!

Nice to see a tone quest with a happy ending :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roadster Blues??? You Need a Source Audio Programmable EQ!!!!!!! 4 Programmable channels with midi. It also serves as nice practice tool by lowering volume while still getting really good sound. This pedal has transformed the amp the most for me. Just like Mark v amps Mesa amps really benefit from an EQ ( usually inserted in the effects loop). I don't know anyone using Mark based amp without EQ engaged for Rock or Metal. I feel it's totally unfair to show Mark V or any Mark with an EQ engaged against any Recto without one.

An update and the end of this little saga:

So after putting the amp chassis back into it's housing, I fired it up and once I again I heard the sort of messy/sandy, kind of tearing-like sound coming in over top of the main sound in channel 4 Modern mode. It was too distracting/annoying for me to look past, so I was back to square one. I then remembered how I compared my combo to a Mesa Oversized Recto 4x12 (by switching between the combo and the 4x12 using speaker cables) and thus discovered how much worse the combo actually sounds by comparison. I realized then, that even though the Roadster MAY be the amp for me, the combo version of it certainly is not.

A few days later I got a bite on my long-standing online ad and I sold it.

Now I'm on the amp hunt once again, but this time I will really take my time and try everything out, and above all, I will NOT go with a combo. Right now I have my eye/ears on a Bogner OS 2x12 (based on online reviews and ONE YouTube comparison demo I've seen) to pair with an EVH 5150 III Mini, or Mesa Stiletto Deuce, or Roadster, or Road King, or an ENGL Ironball. I'll be doing some extensive testing in the near future.

I'd just like to end this by stating sincerely how I really appreciate the feedback and help I got from all of you here. Should I end up with another Mesa or should I come across a thread to which I can contribute my experiences, I'll be sure to post in the future.

Rock-on, my fellow tone-chasers!

Latest posts

Back