The differences of Mesa Rectifier Series cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decoy205

Reaction score
Hey Guys, This is only my 2nd post on the board. Looks like a cool place for Mesa fans! I've used Rectifiers since I started playing and I really will always have a soft spot for them. They are killer products and I feel like owning a Mesa is sort of like getting your first Les Paul. It means you're serious!

Anyway I was always on the hunt for the right cabinet for metal. And at one point I had a full size Recto Cab, and a Dual 3 channel. It was a good rig, but for some reason I could never get the right tone from the speakers. I thought it always sounded 'muddy' or 'mushy' in the low end. I sold some things and shifted stuff around. I have a Bogner Ubercab and a 5150 head now. And It's a really nice cab but I'm missing the tone of that monster Mesa. I know the Mesa V30's are different specs so I'm guessing that is the main thing. But I also know that the Smaller cab size on the trads sound very different from the Oversize standard cabs.

There are 4 types that are common I think with some variation. I'm trying to get opinions on the differences because I'm leaning towards getting a Slant Standard cab above the others for total balance of sound. Here's what my assumptions are by owning two types and listening to clips:

Slant Oversize Standard - Big bass lots of Low mids but Great high end and projection. Great for rock hardcore and metal
Straight Oversize - Even slightly bigger low end lots of low mids great highs but projection is not as great. Great for above as well.

Slant Traditional - Not as much low mids, tighter bass a bit more 'nasally' sounding like a good marshall with V30's - Great for hard rock, blues, rock and metal.
Straight Trad - This one I have almost NO experience with. How do they compare??

Basically i'm after a great recorded metal and hardcore sound. How much of a difference is there between the straight and slant variations?

I know there's others too like the Slant baffle with the straight front, but I think that is considered a slant cab too?

Any other Recto cab info is welcome please share your experience and opinions please!

-John

I have a preference for the oversized slant cabs.

An SM57 doesn't capture the boom, so what you end up with is a more focused midrange than what you hear in the room.

That's kind of what I need. That focused mid range. I think the OS slants have it in spades. If I need more lows Id add in a 421 on the outer part of the cone. I just want that thick cutting mesa sound.

Ive heard the trad many times and recorded it but it was a long time ago. I'm trying to decide if the trad or oversize is the way to go.

I guess my first question would be, when you played your 3 channel recto, did you boost it with a pedal? Recto's tend to have a loose bottom, but you put a TS9 out front and it tightens it right up.

As to the recto cabs. you are pretty spot on, although I wouldn't say the traditional has no low mid's, they do but the upper mid cut is more heard. Overall there is not a huge difference between the cabs, but yes the traditional is suited better for rock.

However a nice in between is the traditional straight front, a nice mix between the over sized and traditional sized.

Here is a good comparison of traditional vs over sized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

decoy205 said:
That's kind of what I need. That focused mid range. I think the OS slants have it in spades. If I need more lows Id add in a 421 on the outer part of the cone. I just want that thick cutting mesa sound.

Ive heard the trad many times and recorded it but it was a long time ago. I'm trying to decide if the trad or oversize is the way to go.

The problem I've found after years of hanging out on forums is that there's no replacement for hearing one in person. You have the differences nailed down in your first post, but no amount of text will be able to tell you much more than you already know.

screamingdaisy said:
decoy205 said:

The problem I've found after years of hanging out on forums is that there's no replacement for hearing one in person. You have the differences nailed down in your first post, but no amount of text will be able to tell you much more than you already know.

Agreed. I do like hearing different opinions about the gear. Helps me with perspective. It would be hard to try all the cabs but I'm going to try ha.

siggy14 said:
I guess my first question would be, when you played your 3 channel recto, did you boost it with a pedal? Recto's tend to have a loose bottom, but you put a TS9 out front and it tightens it right up.

As to the recto cabs. you are pretty spot on, although I wouldn't say the traditional has no low mid's, they do but the upper mid cut is more heard. Overall there is not a huge difference between the cabs, but yes the traditional is suited better for rock.

However a nice in between is the traditional straight front, a nice mix between the over sized and traditional sized.

Here is a good comparison of traditional vs over sized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

At the point when I had it I never boosted it. I really should have for the style i was doing but I was always trying to be the purist. Which goes back to my issue. I was switching too many different things at the time to really narrow down what my issue was. Never tried boosts, and switched amps a few times and cabs. Now i'm back to wanting a Mesa cab. :lol:

Back