The Definitive Jazz Book?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspired

Reaction score
What is the definitive book for someone interested in jumping into Jazz guitar? I'm looking for a really strong book that introduces Jazz progressions/comping, and lead line ideas.

Example given:

Thesaurus of Scale & Melodic Patterns by Nicolas Slonimsky
Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene

Those are definitive books for their subjects. I need something like that for Jazz...

Inspired said:
What is the definitive book for someone interested in jumping into Jazz guitar? I'm looking for a really strong book that introduces Jazz progressions/comping, and lead line ideas.

Example given:

Thesaurus of Scale & Melodic Patterns by Nicolas Slonimsky
Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene

Those are definitive books for their subjects. I need something like that for Jazz...

LOts of guitar methods out there. Jazz guitar teachers help even more though.

I recommend Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". I also recommend YEARS of listening to folks like Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Ron Eschete, Bucky Pizzarelli, Pat Metheny, Russell Malone, Kurt Rosewinkel, Paul Bollenback etc.

Sometimes, it's not how many scales or variations you know, it's the "feel" of the playing that is the most important. Rockers have a most difficult time with the concept of swing, for instance. Jazz players usually lag the beat, but sometimes lead the beat for effect. Takes a long time to do it well. Some people, like Al DiMeola can't swing from a rope, period.

Often times, when rockers hear me, that make COMICAL comments about being "off time". Absolutely clueless, and I'd venture 90% of all people that play guitar are TOTALLY CLUELESS, but I digress......

So, which archtop over $5000 caught your eye? :}

I've gotten several suggestions for Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book", so it definitely has my attention. I imagine I'll be getting this book soon to begin my pursuit of Jazz...

Latest posts

Back