THE BEST HIGH GAIN LEAD PEDAL/OD for a mesa mark IV (must be

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AriBoiangiu

Reaction score
Hi, before you laugh, some gigs I play won't let the lead channel shine properly (volume, presence...)so I need to know-what's the best pedal I can buy to throw in front of my mark IV clean channel (and maybe as an od for rhythm 2/lead).
Pedal must be 9 volt (to use with my g system)...thanks!
Ari

I boost my Lead channel with a TS-9 and it is definitely the most liquidy lead tone ever. I LOVE it! Highly recommended.

thanks ibanez! I have a ts-9, but i'm looking for a pedal that the Clean channel will take well -anyone have tips? zvex? Lovepedal?
Ari

thanks ibanez! I have a ts-9, but i'm looking for a pedal that the Clean channel will take well -anyone have tips? zvex? Lovepedal?
Ari

Ari

Ari

Try a Lovepedal 'Eternity'.
It sounds brilliant through my IIC+ combo clean channel.

I've used a BJF Baby Blue (or BBOD) with great success. Actually preferred it to my (modded to 808 specs)TS-9DX in TS-9 mode.

I realy like the Xotic BB. Killer pedal...and it sound amazing with my Marshalls too!

I see... the bb isn't just a glorified tube screamer? Can I get a good high gain mid rangey lead sound into a CLEAN amp from it?

AriBoiangiu said:
I see... the bb isn't just a glorified tube screamer? Can I get a good high gain mid rangey lead sound into a CLEAN amp from it?

Here's a good demonstration with Andy Timmons. It really highlights its low and mid gain capabilities. He also uses Mesa amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

AriBoiangiu said:
Hi, before you laugh, some gigs I play won't let the lead channel shine properly (volume, presence...)so I need to know-what's the best pedal I can buy to throw in front of my mark IV clean channel (and maybe as an od for rhythm 2/lead).
Pedal must be 9 volt (to use with my g system)...thanks!
Ari

i'm not sure there's a "best" pedal... it's a matter of taste... you have to try dude...

personaly i really like the turbo rat and the big muff sovtek (the old big green box one)

AriBoiangiu said:

Absolutely NOT! The BB Preamp is veeeeeeery transparent. It doesn't colour your tone at all, it just adds a bit of saturation and sustain... or a lot if you want! Bascially, if you love your tone but just want to be able to boost for that extra kick, the BB Preamp is your man.

However, I would also recommend a Fulltone Full Drive 2 w/ Mofset. That has several modes Vintage/FlatMids/CompCut and two seperate chips Standard/Mofset... so obviously it makes for a very versatile unit. Great OD pedal, IMO. I dunno why more people don't talk about them.

I would recommend either a Bixionic Expandora with some reverb/delay or a Radial ToneBone PlexiTube 2 channel distortion pedal. The Tonebone has a 12AX7 in it.

Look into a Keeley Boss SD-1. They are like a TS-9 but with more grit and less middy. Very good for a metal boost.

Try a Barge concepts DB-2 (dual boost) i use one in the loop, just to boost channel 3 for leads when i play metal-but it also works quite well on ch 1 for blues as well. they are boutique and based in NYC fairly inexpensive and great build quality.

These are great replies! I'm primarily looking for a lead voice to use with rhythm 1 not necessarily an od for channel 2 or lead. Anyone know about:
MI Audio crunch box or tube zone
HBE Big D
IndyGuitarist Pinnacle 2
Emma RezzaFratzizz (or something)

anyone? thanks!

Back