TC Electronic Nova System with your DC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody is using a TCE Nova System with a DC-5 or similar.

I do like the Nova, but I plug it straight into the input of the amp vs. using the effects loop. I wanted to see if anyone else is using a Nova, how they are doing it, and any pros/cons of either setup. I will be happy to share what I learn as well.

One thing I've already learned is that the DC-5 is a beast

I am going to take that as a 'no' :lol:

Here's a pic of the rig
BoogieRig-sm.jpg

On the pedal board; TCE Nova System, Boss Tuner, Mesa Amp Switch, Boss V-Wah. The silver tube on the pedal board is a flashlight - crucial piece of gear for the giggin musician ;)

My amp isn't a DC, but I'm a Nova System guy as well (see sig). I run mine in the loop, because I mainly use it for delay and reverb, and both of those sound much better post-gain. I bypass it completely probably 80% of the time, but my favorite patch is the one I use for solos - tape delay, a touch of plate reverb, and a 6db clean boost. For a minimalist like me, it's lovely to be able to get all that by stomping on one button.

Benjamin: I agree - and that alone kept me engulfed in rack gear for decades.
So, you're using the gains in your Mark III and the Nova in the loop for FX only?

I have been using the Nova for all my half/full gain stuff, and only using the DC's gain for any songs that require the trademark 'metal' tones. It's surprising how many of our covers actually lend themselves to that. When I engage the DC's gain, the delays/reverbs do sound terrible, as you describe. As a workaround, I have a very clean patch on the Nova for using the DC gain.

Once I get a 2-button footswitch, I'll have the ability to toggle the EQ & gain another channel in the DC. Until then, the Nova has to stay in front of the amp :(

BTW: I have the Jazz/JB combo in several of my guitars as well ;)

Exactly. The distortion and overdrive is completely bypassed in all my Nova System patches, and I run it in my FX loop at line level. In my current band, I really only use the lead channel. (I know that makes me sound like a metal-obsessed meathead, but I swear I'm not - I get cleans by rolling back my volume when I need to! :lol: ) But my patches actually all sound equally good on any channel, so if I ever had a band or project that required it, I could haul the ol' Mark III fleet of footswitches back out...

So I dial up a nice punchy crunch rhythm (pre gain 9/10, post gain 5/10), and just kick that same tone up by 6db (using the Nova's programmable clean boost) for leads; it's louder, obviously, but a touch more compressed too, probably because it's hitting the PI tube harder.

Sweet. Thanks for the input man, that's what I was looking for - people using their equipment in different ways.

Once I have that EQ switching capability, I can see myself doing the same thing (rolling off the volume for clean). I have been doing that with my Classic Rock crunch in the Nova already & I'm surprised by how well that box handles tube sounds.

I use the Nova boost for a lot of solo - primarily dirty patches. I have my OD pedal set for about half of that boost, and it adds a bit more grind to the edge. I can use it for added grit on a solo, or just for a dynamic punch in the song.

Anybody else feel free to chime in here!! Thanks again Benjamin - we may have to talk about clean tone settings, seeing as the DC-5 is very Mark-like on the clean channel ;)

Latest posts

Back