Sustain on Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OamrG

Reaction score
I've been doing some more tinkering with my Mark III, and I've got it to where there's a pretty decent sound for the music I play (essentially punk and blues). I'm just curious as to what I can do with my amp that would give me a tad bit more sustain and growl without muddying up the sound. Should I go for new power tubes, or pre amp tubes? What kind? I know I had a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I'm trying to figure out which direction to take this bad boy before I go diving into expensive tubes or something. Also, would new pickups be a better option?

Any help would be really great. Thanks!

You could try playing around with different eq settings. What i like to do is cut bass before the gain stages and then boost it back up either with the onboard eq or with an eq in the effects loop. This will allow you to use more gain, hence better sustain, without getting that muddy washed up bass sound.

I've pretty much done all of the above, except I haven't changed the strings on this guitar in a long time. I also haven't played it through and through for a few years. I suppose a string change is in order. Thanks guys.

When I'm cutting leads in the studio, I go Class A and crank the master volume to about 5. Sustain for days that melts into very musical feedback if you want it to.

benjamin801 said:
When I'm cutting leads in the studio, I go Class A and crank the master volume to about 5. Sustain for days that melts into very musical feedback if you want it to.

Yeah, I've been playing with Class A lately. It sounds pretty sweet. I haven't had the chance to crank this thing because of my apartment, but I plan on doing so next time I practice with my band.

I like to boost my Mark III with a Tubescreamer, it adds a nice bit of sustain, bite, and harmonic content. Tightens it up real nice too, even though Mark III's don't really need it. Just keep the drive and tone on the pedal low with the level just over half and it sounds great!

If you don't want to use a pedal, try turning the input volume and treble knobs 8.

If it doesn't work all above, try a very heavy-weighted Paula (best from the '80ies). But you must like that sound. And it's likely the most expensive way.
Hit the strings and then go shopping and when you come back that thing is still ringing. But take care of youre back, it might get broken !!!
Of course, strings have to be absolutely new.

I have a 60w Mark III w/reverb. In 15 years, the biggest thing I've done to help sustain and the overall voicing of the amp was to send it back to the mother church this summer and have it serviced & re-capped. Trust me - I've been all over the tube chart, many different speaker configurations (I have both head & combo cabs for it) - - the works. Having it serviced & re-capped was the best thing I've done. Period.

benjamin801 said:

Here's an example!

The rhythm tracks are my Mark III in Simul-Class mode (right speaker) and my co-guitarist's Fryette 100/CL (left speaker). When the breakdown comes after the second verse (1:43 if you're that impatient), those long, singing notes and noodles are me - same gain and EQ settings on the Mesa, only this time I'm in "Class A" mode and I've cranked the master from 3 to about 5 1/2. Sounds like a whole different amp.

http://soundcloud.com/ben-duffy/salt-lake-spitfires-shiny

More sustain? My mark III doesn't know sustain at gig/band rehearsal volumes, it Only knows feedback. Not the squealing kind you get with microphonic pre's, but the kind that makes us guitarists smile from ear to ear.... 8) :lol:

benjamin801 said:
benjamin801 said:

Here's an example!

The rhythm tracks are my Mark III in Simul-Class mode (right speaker) and my co-guitarist's Fryette 100/CL (left speaker). When the breakdown comes after the second verse (1:43 if you're that impatient), those long, singing notes and noodles are me - same gain and EQ settings on the Mesa, only this time I'm in "Class A" mode and I've cranked the master from 3 to about 5 1/2. Sounds like a whole different amp.

http://soundcloud.com/ben-duffy/salt-lake-spitfires-shiny
Nice! I definitely need to mess around with the Class A in mine, especially for recording purposes.

EDIT: Do you run yours with EL34s in the outer sockets or 6L6s? I currently have a quad of 6L6s, and I'm wondering how big of a difference the Class A will be with 6L6s vs. EL34s.

glgarber11 said:
Nice! I definitely need to mess around with the Class A in mine, especially for recording purposes.

EDIT: Do you run yours with EL34s in the outer sockets or 6L6s? I currently have a quad of 6L6s, and I'm wondering how big of a difference the Class A will be with 6L6s vs. EL34s.

I use EL34s in the outer sockets. I've tried all 6L6s, and I think the sounds are about 90% similar either way when running in Simul-Class, but the EL34s give me just a little more...something.

benjamin801 said:
glgarber11 said:

I use EL34s in the outer sockets. I've tried all 6L6s, and I think the sounds are about 90% similar either way when running in Simul-Class, but the EL34s give me just a little more...something.

Agreed. i think it's more like 97% or 98% similar with 6l6's or el34's. It's just a little bit fuller in the mids with el34's in the outer sockets, all 6l6's sound a bit more scooped.

rgx612a said:
Mark III's have a TON of sustain. It shouldn't even be an issue.

i back that ..

lack of sustain comes mostly when peeps puts thier guitar pickups too close of the strings thinking they'll get more attack power witch is false, never forget a pup got a magnet that kills vibrations then sustain! :wink:

Latest posts

Back