Sunshine of your Love. Eq help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gthewildman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently bought an Express 5:25. I am enjoying it. But do not find it easy to eq.

Could anyone share settings for Sunshine of your love using a single coil Fender Stratocaster. Preferably without pedals.

Thank you,

G

Hi Guys,

I recently bought an Express 5:25. I am enjoying it. But do not find it easy to eq.

Could anyone share settings for Sunshine of your love using a single coil Fender Stratocaster. Preferably without pedals.

Thank you,

G
My personal opinion is that Clapton is using a Tonebender on this track. I say this as the Tonebender has that long sustain you need for this track. The Solo sounds like he turned it off.

Regards

Mark

Yeah, this was back when EC was still using an SG. Like Sinner's Swing said, tone knob down, guitar volume all the way up. I know you said "no pedals" but an EH LPB-1 is actually good for this kind of thing. I would try Channel 2 Blues, again like SS said treble down, mids up (not sure if the Express turns the Mid into a gain knob after a certain point like older Marks do, if so this is probably your secret sauce here), gain around half. If that's 'too much' try Channel 1 Crunch. Turn the Master up as loud as you can in your space so you can ride the feedback. If you have the GEQ use that to "fine tune".

Clapton's tone on this is a lot less overdriven than the famous intro sounds, it's just a big amp being played very very loud. Most of the grind you're hearing there is JB's bass, and then EC's 20-watt speakers begging for mercy, plus a fair bit of unavoidable saturation and compression between the mic and the tape - studio signal chains were not really up to this kind of punishment yet.

Thanks guys I have a good pedal board with fuzz and all sorts. I am just enjoying this amp without pedals.

I also have guitars with humbuckers. But prefer my strat. So I am just trying to get the best from the amp and Strat on their lonesome.

I will tap into the advice and see what happens.

Cheers

G

Got something going pretty well with the advice guys. But for really homing in it probs needs a pedal.

But it’s not bad for music club.

Cheers

G

Sunshine of Your Love was recorded in the era when Clapton actually had a decent tone, which is before he switched to a strat. His tone disappeared once he went Fender. He generally either rolled off the highs with the tone knob on his SG (with humbuckers) or switched on his wah wah pedal with the tone back to roll off highs. Used a mid 60's Marshall JTM. Your not going to get anywhere close with just a strat into a Mesa, will need a pedal and eq shaping to scoop the tone.

Sunshine of Your Love was recorded in the era when Clapton actually had a decent tone, which is before he switched to a strat. His tone disappeared once he went Fender. He generally either rolled off the highs with the tone knob on his SG (with humbuckers) or switched on his wah wah pedal with the tone back to roll off highs. Used a mid 60's Marshall JTM. Your not going to get anywhere close with just a strat into a Mesa, will need a pedal and eq shaping to scoop the tone.
I don't usually reply here but I'm set in my ways. I completely agree that Clapton had a better (to me) woman tone in the Gibson days. I guess his tone completely "disappeared" and "Your (sic) not going to get anywhere close with just a strat into a Mesa"... Keep an open mind and see the 4:00 mark
White Room From 24 nights

Last edited:
The Tonebender helps with gain and compression. If it’s possible try one out. I think you will either love it or hate it. So try before you buy.

Alternatively you could try a compressor.

Regards

Mark

Ok, so I have quite a few OD pedals, muffs, compressors, treble boosters and the like. I just had a morning experimenting with them in the Express 5:25. Indeed they make a hell of a difference, most notably with depth, saturation and sustain.

But my view is this: once the depth and sustain is in place there is only tone to consider, and of course the listener does not have anything to compare my tone to, as such a precise Clapton Tone is not imperative. Let’s take for example his reunion Cream performance at the Albert Hall. It is a feeling that he generates- the precise tone could be different and still be phenomenal.

What the Mesa (my Mesa) does not seem to be able to do is provide that saturation on its own with a single coil strat. But most single or stacked pedals seem to push it there with ease.

I have yet to try with a Les Paul. But will during the coming week.

Loving the Mesa regardless.

Thanks once again guys.

G

Ok, so I have quite a few OD pedals, muffs, compressors, treble boosters and the like. I just had a morning experimenting with them in the Express 5:25. Indeed they make a hell of a difference, most notably with depth, saturation and sustain.

But my view is this: once the depth and sustain is in place there is only tone to consider, and of course the listener does not have anything to compare my tone to, as such a precise Clapton Tone is not imperative. Let’s take for example his reunion Cream performance at the Albert Hall. It is a feeling that he generates- the precise tone could be different and still be phenomenal.

What the Mesa (my Mesa) does not seem to be able to do is provide that saturation on its own with a single coil strat. But most single or stacked pedals seem to push it there with ease.

I have yet to try with a Les Paul. But will during the coming week.

Loving the Mesa regardless.

Thanks once again guys.

G
Hunbuckers with bass and mids at 9 o'clock. Treble at 3 o'clock. Scoop eq v or turn up the flavor enhancer setting on. Burn at 12, output at 12, tweak.

Back