Suggestions For Removing `Sharpie' Marks From Tolex

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Gilbo

Reaction score
I need some help.

A few years ago when I was using an amp stand I put a couple of small sharpie marks at the back of my Mark 1 Reissue combo covered in cream tolex. This was to help center the amp quickly. I know what you're thinking...stupid, stupid, stupid. Now that I think of it I should have used some masking tape or something before I put the marks on. Or just used the tape. However, the damage is done.

Now, I'm trying a few things to try to remove the marks. I've tried a dab of butane, gasoline, rubbing alcohol, a product called `Goof Off' without any luck.

Any suggestions?

Hopefully someone here has a solution.

Considering what you've already tried, I found one web post that suggests contact cement cleaner to remove stubborn marks. Sounds like it could be hazardous.

If the marks persist, a secondary option would be to go on a quest and find some nail polish that identically matches your tolex. If you take extreme care in applying it, your sharpie marks should vanish.

Just a thought...

I got some permanent marker on my piano. After scouring the net for information, I found a recommendation to try writing over the top with whiteboard marker and then rubbing it off. Would you believe it, it worked - came off straight away no residue, no fuss.

Simon

I use BABYWIPES to remove marker from just about everything.....carpet, walls, my sued couch. If it'll take marker and sharpie off that then I reckon it's work on tolex. Give it a shot, they work lik friggin magic.

A few years back, we bought a new house with new white appliances............one day our son who was 3 at the time got ahold of a red Sharpie and decided to draw on the new fridge, guess he thought it needed some color.

Anyways, I ended up using nail polish remover, which is Acetone.

Please test in an inconspicuous area prior to trying to remove the marks, you don't want to melt or discolor it.

try going over it with the same marker and wipe it off quick before it dryes with an alcohol damped rag, at least thats how i usually get those marks off things

Latest posts

Back