Subway Rocket vs Rebel 30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4q0

Reaction score
I know this is a Mesa forum so most people will probably wonder why I'm even comparing these 2 amps.
Thing is I got a Rebel 30 head and although I like the sound of it a lot, I can't really go into high metal territory unless I use an overdrive pedal, but still it's not as tight as I would like to, perhaps it's the pedal I'm using.
I got an offer to trade it for a Subway rocket and there is no much information on this combo amp, although the people who have played it say they really like it.

I just wonder if the Subway Rocket can go into the high gain territory better than the Rebel and if this is worth the trade.

Any comments and/or suggestions aside from "get a better dist/od pedal"? :p

I would take any American made MB over any Chinese made Eglayer any day. After owning two POS Eglayers, I got a MB TA-15 and love it. My first Eglayer was a Twkr 40 that crapped out twice, PT in both cases. I next tried the Rbl 20 that didn't even last a day. Check out the Eglayer forum, their Chinese made amps are crap, especially troublesome transformers across the entire line of amps, as well as other problems including piss-poor support.

Which Rocket are you considering? Whichever one, I would trade in a heartbeat. :wink:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/Subway_Series/subway_series.html

Well I haven't had any problems with the Rebel and it sound pretty good actually, it's just that I'm not a pedal guy and I don't like relying on pedals to get a tight high gain sound from an amp and for what I know the high gain of these mesa combos are pretty good. I've read good reviews on the clean channel as well so it seems that it would be a good trade for me.

Any thoughts on a DC-2 combo? I know the Rocket is the continuation of the DC legacy though I don't know how do they compare with each other.

I got another offer, this time for a Studio Caliber DC-2.
As far as I know it is the predecessor series of the Express/F series

http://a1.images.reverb.com/image/upload/a_exif,c_limit,h_640,q_85,w_640/v1363790203/dyzedxsyxzfh2ia09iry.jpg

This one has 2 complete independent channels as opposed to the Subway Rocket that shares the EQ knobs between the 2 channels.

Back