Studio Preamp - Rack mounted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japster

Reaction score
Hi,

I've aquired as a freebie with 2 guitars I bought a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp, it's all Valve and has rack mount brackets.

It works fine and still has a factory tag on it stating it has a serial number of SP-5864.

I just wondered how old it was and how much it's worth ?

Any Help appreciated :)

Thanks,

Craig

Hey,

Nice preamp... Based on a Mark IIC preamp, close to the IIC+. I think MB started production in 1986, so maybe your is from '88 or '89. I have seen them sell online from 400 to 550. It should have a nice organic sound, and will work well with a tube power amp like the MB 50/50 or 2:90. good luck with it!

scott

I bought a Studio Pre last year and foolishly sold it. After going through different preamps, I returned to the SP because nothing compares to the tone & dynamics.

If you check the BAY religiously, you can find a good deal on an SP - usually low to mid 400's. Seems like the average going price is @ $475.

I've run an SP with a 50/50, a 20/20, an ADA solid state power amp, and am currently running it with a 295. By far, the SP sounds best with 295. 2nd place was the 50/50. 3rd place was the 20/20. And in last place was the ADA solid state power amp.

I've had my Studio for many years and can't part with it at this point. Amazing tone with my 50/50's!...esp for smooth lead passages where it's voicing can really be heard. I think I paid $425 and it was well worth it.

I have had mine for 2 or so years now running with a Mesa 2:50 and am constantly re-falling in love with it!! With good tubes in it the tones can be nothing short of miraculous. (that being said constant GAS is a real pain and I know I would kick myself it I sold it)

If forced to say a negative word about the Studio I would have to say that because of it's circuitry layout it's make the controls very sensitive. You even look at 'em sideways and they change. That being said, it's a small price to pay for greatness. :D

Back