Studio Preamp comparison, possible mod(w/audio samples)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Hi,

I think my Studio Preamp has been modded to have much more gain than its supposed to; as a result I feel the tone is lacking. Could any Studio Preamp owners compare my audio samples with their amps to see? Would be much appreciated......

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1374012/Studio%20Preamp%20Test.zip

I've recorded clips using various settings from the manual, so you can compare them with another studio preamp to see the difference. Each of the clips are clearly labeled with the settings from the manual.

The clips were all recorded with an SM57 using an Ibanez s classic on the bridge pickup, through a Mesa Studio Preamp and a mesa 295 power amp. The mic was on the cap edge, about 1 inch away from the grill. I've labelled each clip with the name of the settings in the manual, and for all settings I had the EQ engaged, using a 'V' shape. Ive included an image of the EQ settings.

If anyone can confirm my suspicions that would be great! Also recorded example would be even better, as I could show them to the guys at mesa to convince them that something is up.

Thanks in advance guys!

Nik

Back