Studio Preamp C+ MOD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bright? I thought the studio preamp is not TOO bright as it is. In fact sometimes it is a bit too smooth. I think I will pass this mod.

giorikas81 said:
Too bright? I thought the studio preamp is not TOO bright as it is. In fact sometimes it is a bit too smooth. I think I will pass this mod.
Mine is Bright too i own one the 80's units with metal toggle switch... what brand of tubes are you using?

I have this mod on my Studio pre and it's very subtle to say the least. I feel like the lead channel has a bit more gain but overall the characteristics of the studio are preserved, although slightly enhanced. I recommend this mod if your competent with a soldering iron and looking for a bit of a different flavor out of the preamp. I'd say its worth it.

Rocklobsta1109 said:
I have this mod on my Studio pre and it's very subtle to say the least. I feel like the lead channel has a bit more gain but overall the characteristics of the studio are preserved, although slightly enhanced. I recommend this mod if your competent with a soldering iron and looking for a bit of a different flavor out of the preamp. I'd say its worth it.
thanks for the reply are you using Mesa preamp tube,some other company tubes or NOS tubes with this preamp?, can you that now your sound is a bit less harsh or bright sounding also which you think is the best FX Processor with channels switch capacity that can be use to get the best out of this preamp?

mxr2000 said:
giorikas81 said:
Mine is Bright too i own one the 80's units with metal toggle switch... what brand of tubes are you using?

I have the rocker switches one, I used to use some old fender GT tubes or something and now switched to JJ which did a great job for the clean channel...the lead channel remained pretty much the same but quieter and smoother still.

giorikas81 said:
mxr2000 said:
giorikas81 said:

I have the rocker switches one, I used to use some old fender GT tubes or something and now switched to JJ which did a great job for the clean channel...the lead channel remained pretty much the same but quieter and smoother still.
"JJ ECC83S"?

Yeah. I think. I don't remember them being like this. With red colouring I guess.

http://www.thomann.de/gr/jj_nn003_roehre_ecc83s.htm

I think those are it. The clean channel is spectacular now, the distortion sound not that much difference I guess...

mxr2000 said:
thanks for the reply are you using Mesa preamp tube,some other company tubes or NOS tubes with this preamp?, can you that now your sound is a bit less harsh or bright sounding also which you think is the best FX Processor with channels switch capacity that can be use to get the best out of this preamp?

I'm using a quad of plain JJ 12AX7's in the preamp and a matched quad of Sovtech 6L6GB's in a Mesa 50/50 power amp. Right now the amp is not too bright but I also think that the mesa power amp adds come character to it, and with the presence control it's easily manageable. I've had good results with the Gmajor 2 and the G-system, which is my favorite with this system.

I did the mod and recorded a clip. It did change the tone as compared to the previous un-modified form. The amp is now smoother.
I'm using the pre with a Mesa 2:Fifty and a Mesa traditional cab.

Here's the clip:
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=27843

PhilBelanger said:
I did the mod and recorded a clip. It did change the tone as compared to the previous un-modified form. The amp is now smoother.
I'm using the pre with a Mesa 2:Fifty and a Mesa traditional cab.

Here's the clip:
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=27843

Would you mind recording straight from studio preamp? Use any output you'd like (recording & main & effects send)
I'd be curious to hear since I might get this mod myself too..

Hello all , i just finished the pull deep and the pull shift mod and i just wanted to add the values of the components i used because the schematic is pretty unclear and almost unreadable.

For the bass shift i used a 680k resistor , a 22k resistor and a .47uf capacitor (poly axial it rated 63v) .

For the pull deep i used the 15uf capacitor that was allready in the preamp so i guess you dont need to buy one. A 15k resistor and again a .47uf capacitor (poly axial 63v)

So all you need to buy is:

2 x .47uf poly axial 63v capacitor (470nf)
22k resistor
680k resistor
15k resistor

Hope this helps abit , the result is imo pretty usefull. The costs just a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back