String Too Big for Tuning Peg

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stadidas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought another Fender Jim Root Tele, with the intention of using it in drop A tuning.
The problem is that the tuners on it will only accept a maximum of a .054 gauge string, which is nowhere near thick enough; I need something more like a 60 or 62.
I have heard that it is possible to drill tuners. It is a locking tuner which makes things a bit tricky, so I was thinking of filing the hole out to make it a bit larger.
Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice will be gratefully received.

yes, i had a 7 string with Sperzel tuners on it. the low B string would not take a .065 guage string. I just loosened the locking mechanism nearly all the way out so none of the locking pin was sticking up into the hole/string slot. Then I took a small drill bit, test fitting it first by using each bit size, and go one bigger bit at a time until you find the bit that does not quite fit into the hole, then use that one that is just slightly biggger than the hole. Connect it to your drill as usual and begin to drill slowly. Just goose the drill trigger a little bit at a time while applying slight pressure until you get it to pass all the way through. Do not pull it out. Reverse the direction on the drill, and repeat the procedure gently squeezing the drill trigger and then build up the momentary burst of drilling until it comes back through. Just take your time with it. It worked fine for me and I had no problems. Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

sir riff a lot said:
apart from the string issue.
how is the jim root tele ?

they look awesome

+1 Got any pics??? How does it play/sound?? I'd like to eventually get the white one...it looks awesome

-AJH

Root Teles?

teles.jpg

Yeah, I like them. :)

Word of warning though - the quality does vary, and it varies greatly. Let me explain...
I used to buy my guitars from a guy in New Jersey and import them from him (I live in England). He would get the guitars in, set them up with the strings and tuning I wanted, and would ship them over. Even with the shipping and customs fees, I still saved a bit of money thanks to the strong pound. I got my first Root Tele from him (the black one) in June last year, and it's an amazing guitar. I have it tuned in E flat, and it sounds excellent, clean and dirty.

Towards the end of last year, I decided to get a new guitar for drop A tuning. After the pound crashed there was no economic benefit of getting it from the US, and I waited until after NAMM to see if they would release a white Ibanez MTM1, as I love my red one. They didn't release it, so I decided to get another Root Tele. However, as I heard they were going to increase the prices after NAMM, I immediately went out and bought a white Root Tele. To be honest, it's almost like they were built by different companies. The neck is hardly finished; the frets stick out too far. The third fret isn't filled correctly, as you can see here:

fret.jpg

Also, one of the frets has been knocked in too hard and split the fret board slightly:

split.jpg

I would still highly recommend the guitar. When set up correctly they are great playing guitars and good value. However, as with any guitar, be careful and make sure you check it over so you don't get a half-assed one like I did. It may be a relatively inexpensive Mexican-made guitar, but it is not cheap. If you can find a well made one, then you should buy it.

Latest posts

Back