Strat going rediculously out of tune

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschberger

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that my MIM Strat has been going wildly out of tune every 5 minutes or so. It is really beginning to piss me off as I can't stop to tune my guitar every 5 minutes, especially when I am gigging or jamming with my band.

I think it has something to do with the bridge, but I am not sure. it seems when I do bends it seems to make all of my strings go out of tune. forget about using the tremolo arm, I've taken it out because when I do anything with the tremolo (dive bomb or just some vibrato) it goes out of tune.

it is also not my strings because I have recently changed them multiple times (and yes I stretched them out each time) and the problem still persists!

is there any way to fix this?

it can't be all strats because no one would buy them so I'm pretty convinced its my guitar.

I could as my tuners suck but still I wana know why it would go out of tune so rapidly. is it the bridge?

I just wanna single the problem out and fix it, so I don't have to spend lots of money fixing up my whole guitar

Hirschberger said:
it seems when I do bends it seems to make all of my strings go out of tune. forget about using the tremolo arm, I've taken it out because when I do anything with the tremolo (dive bomb or just some vibrato) it goes out of tune.

Sounds like it could be binding at the nut. Did you change to a larger string gauge?

lockbody said:
Hirschberger said:
it seems when I do bends it seems to make all of my strings go out of tune. forget about using the tremolo arm, I've taken it out because when I do anything with the tremolo (dive bomb or just some vibrato) it goes out of tune.

Sounds like it could be binding at the nut. Did you change to a larger string gauge?

Actually i went from D'addario .10s to D'addario .9s, i actually went down.

could that be the problem?

I think the tuners. The stock ones on the MIM are not too good.

try tightning the screw on the peg to start

Lou said:
I think the tuners. The stock ones on the MIM are not too good.

try tightning the screw on the peg to start

yeah for sure some of my tuners are really tight and some are so loose it takes me like 5 turns of the peg to get it up .000001 higher

The tuners on an MIM Strat will keep the guitar in tune just fine. You'd be surprised at how crappy a tuner can be before it's an issue.

I'd look at the nut and your stringing and tuning technique.

Do any of the strings make a ping sound while tuning? That's a nut issue.
Are your string windings neat and even on the string posts? You only need two or three string windings. Too many are as bad as to few.

A set of locking tuners can help because they eliminate string windings. Plus, they're quicker and easier to use correctly.

Make sure that the bridge is set up properly as well. With not strings and tremolo springs on the guitar, make sure that the tremolo moves without binding or catching.

I think i may have found a problem. Well, that or I am just an idiot.

it seems my bridge is sorta ... wierd. here i have some pics.

IMG00110.jpg

IMG00195.jpg

IMG00109.jpg

as you can see, the 3rd one from the left (i dont know what they are called, the 6 things where you feed the bridge through. yes im a noob :oops: :cry: ) is very crooked for sure. it stands up above all the rest, and it seems like the bridge in general is messed up.

could this be the problem

man you really don't know............your bridge 'aint messed up because the saddles have a curve to them.......they're supposed to. Your neck has a curve so you must match that curve at the bridge otherwise your guitar will become very hard to play.

Do you live near a music store? I don't suggest trying to get your guitar right since you seem to have very limited knowledge of the guitar as a whole. Maybe going to a guitar store and asking them a bunch of questions as well as getting some ideas for repair tips would help you out. Or go to your local tower records/barnes and nobels and pick up a basic book on setting up guitars.

Greg

I could recomend a few things. Check the nut to make sure the notches for the strings arent too deep or uneven. Also, check the tension of the strings on the bridge. If you can see agap between the very back of the bridge and the body you need to tighten the springs in the back so that the bridge does not float. You should be able to bend the strings with the bridge staying in place. If you pull up on the bridge while hitting a note and it changes pitch you need to tighten the springs. If yours has one 3 springs you may want to grab some more from GC and install em. If nothing else works have the guitar setup at a music store, replace the saddles (things on the bridge) with graphtech saddles, replace the nut with either a brass, graphtech, or ballbearing (if you do alot of dive bombs and bending) nut.

disassembled said:
man you really don't know............your bridge 'aint messed up because the saddles have a curve to them.......they're supposed to. Your neck has a curve so you must match that curve at the bridge otherwise your guitar will become very hard to play.

Do you live near a music store? I don't suggest trying to get your guitar right since you seem to have very limited knowledge of the guitar as a whole. Maybe going to a guitar store and asking them a bunch of questions as well as getting some ideas for repair tips would help you out. Or go to your local tower records/barnes and nobels and pick up a basic book on setting up guitars.

Greg

I do know some. like I did know that the saddles have a curve based on the curve of the neck but the 3rd one just seems like it is way crooked and it is higher on the left than on the right.

that being said I don't know a lot, just some. I might just have someone at my local music shop set up my guitar correctly.

dmt said:
I could recomend a few things. Check the nut to make sure the notches for the strings arent too deep or uneven. Also, check the tension of the strings on the bridge. If you can see agap between the very back of the bridge and the body you need to tighten the springs in the back so that the bridge does not float. You should be able to bend the strings with the bridge staying in place. If you pull up on the bridge while hitting a note and it changes pitch you need to tighten the springs. If yours has one 3 springs you may want to grab some more from GC and install em. If nothing else works have the guitar setup at a music store, replace the saddles (things on the bridge) with graphtech saddles, replace the nut with either a brass, graphtech, or ballbearing (if you do alot of dive bombs and bending) nut.

I have noticed this and I am going to try what you suggested. thanks.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing but taking it to someone who will be willing to teach would be so more valuable then dropping it off at a guitar store and saying "fix it" without being sure of what you want or need done. A lot of places like to rip off uneducated people anyway so it is in your best interest to be a more educated customer. Getting the tools to work on your own guitar might be a worthwhile investment too.

There are plenty of internet resources, as well as books, videos, etc so take the time to do research on your own. The suggestions here can be helpful or cause you to screw your guitar up and is why you have to take everything with a grain a salt or else you could wind up with an unusable guitar.

Greg

disassembled said:
There's nothing wrong with not knowing but taking it to someone who will be willing to teach would be so more valuable then dropping it off at a guitar store and saying "fix it" without being sure of what you want or need done. A lot of places like to rip off uneducated people anyway so it is in your best interest to be a more educated customer. Getting the tools to work on your own guitar might be a worthwhile investment too.

There are plenty of internet resources, as well as books, videos, etc so take the time to do research on your own. The suggestions here can be helpful or cause you to screw your guitar up and is why you have to take everything with a grain a salt or else you could wind up with an unusable guitar.

Greg

Yea dude you are absolutely right. I can get it professionally set up at my local music store because I am friendly with them and they wont rip me off. I will definately look in to getting some tools and doing some research. thanks a lot for the advice.

I met a guy years ago who showed me how to set up a stock strat tremolo perfectly.... My guitar gets tuned when the string go on and never gets touched again until after the gig when I put new ones on again... stays in tune like a piano.

First requirement is the Bridge FLOATS.... The back of the bridge is off of the body

There are a few more requirements... if you're interested let me know and I show you how to get that thing to stay in tune like a Floyd. I was told it is the way Blackmore had his set up. Saw him in 1985 and he never went out of tune and killed the stock Fender tremolo all night.

Latest posts

Back