Strange noise with notes on G string

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original poster here. Some very interesting comments, thank you all. I would like to reiterate though that the noise that I observed occurred with both with single coil and humbucker guitars with and without a floating bridge. Two Mark V heads and a combo as well as the Mark V:35 combo and a Roadster head (to a lesser extent) had it; the staff at my local music store heard it and confirmed it. With all that in mind, bandit2013's suggestion that it is tube shield noise seems like the most probable explanation for the issue.

Alas, I have no way of finding out as I returned the Mark V and got the Marshall JVM410H. The store manager made a video of the problem and sent it to Mesa three weeks ago but they never got back to him. Not the kind of customer service I would expect when buying a $3000 amp. Anyways, I found "my" amp albeit in a very roundabout way and I'm happy. Thanks again for your comments.

From what I can tell on the image I have seen of the JVM410H, there are no tube shield holders on the 12AX7 preamp tubes. In reality, they are not really needed especially if the tubes are facing upward. However, I would suspect the Mesa 6L6GC tubes to be more of the contributor to noise than the tube shields. The only amp that I have been able to use the Mesa branded 6L6 tube in is the Roadster but I have had new tubes out of the box vibrate terribly (internal structure causing tube sing) that is noticeable at low volume on a clean channel setting. I also have the same issue with the last set of SED =C= tubes (both EL34 and 6L6) that were prone to this issue as well. If the power tubes are of low quality or poor workmanship in their construction, chances are they will resonate at certain frequencies due to change in electric field similar to piezo effect that is common with large sized ceramic capacitors. There are some 12AX7 tubes that will make mechanical noise that will actually make it into the electrical signal. Most prone are the long plate 12AX7. However, the JJ preamp tube ECC83 also used by Mesa can make noise due to the getter construction. I have a few of those that are very noisy. I generally weed those out of use (finger tap test usually works to find those noisy ones).

The issue with the tube shields, they are simply an aluminum tube with a partially closed end but still open. Sure the spring will make noise when not compressed but the tube shield in itself can resonate at certain frequencies (probably only relevant in a open back combo amp vs a head) based on sound pressure change. The longer tube used for V1 that may hide behind the OT would be more prone to vibrate at lower frequencies vs the shorter tube shield. One also has to consider the surrounding environment too. I have my Mark V combo and the RA100 combo in my family room, not the best place for playing due to the large assortment of decorative glass bottles my wife had collected and arranged on a build in cabinet that extends from the floor almost to the celling, also note that this particular room has a cathedral ceiling which crests about 25 feet above the floor, and what makes it worse, the brick fire place and structure encompasses nearly one wall of the room. Often when I play through either amp, I hear rattles and odd noises that sounds like it is coming from the amp itself, even think the speaker is buzzing. In reality, the noise is coming from the bottles, shelves and even the pictures hanging on the walls. When the amp is removed from the room and placed in the studio, I hear different noises but not from the amp, it is coming from the ductwork and register on the floor near the window. Take the amp outside and see if the noise is still there (assuming you can do this) or in a dead room (was thinking of modifying the bedroom I am using as a studio with foam wall panels just for that purpose).

It is what it is, worse thing to do is to play your amp in a room with an acoustic guitar sitting out on a guitar stand. If you want to hear some earie sounds or strange slapping noises, it will be coming from the acoustic guitar as the strings will begin to vibrate. Been there done that (at first it freaked me out as I had no clue what the noise was and where it came from but did not take long to realize it came from the 6 or 12 string I had out at that particular moment). Acoustic drum sets, especially the snare drum will make some nasty noises too caused by sound pressure variances, found this out when I was practicing alone without the drummer or bass player. WTF is that? first thought the amp was crapping out.

Nah I had the 210 JVM. The pre-amp valves are definitely shielded. Hellova noisy amp on the high gain channel. Using anything but that red-label chinese (shuguang I suspect) valve in V1 results in horrific noise levels.

In very rudimentary laymans terms the way valve shields work is by connecting to the ground chassis, and therefore taking the ground too. Creating a faraday cage around the valve. It's definitely more prevalent when that noise occurs early in the circuit than later. As it gets further amplified. Not that you can't get noisy power amp valves. Just that those levels of electromagnetic interference aren't as bothersome at that point.
If you think of it like the reason we use speaker cables which carry a load of power for speakers and instrument cables which don't carry much power to plug a guitar in. You get lots of noise if the instrument cable is unshielded. Because it hits every amplification stage in the amp. However speaker cable doesn't have to be shielded. As at that stage outside interferences can't really cause too much of a problem at that point as all the amplification has happened.
Well with power valves you're at the last point of amplification and ok, it's the biggest admittedly.
Also it's proximity to the power transformer that gives off most of those interferences that affect valves. Power amp valves are typically situated far enough from the power transformer for that interference to never reach them.
If you look at most Marshall amps, only V1 had a shield. V2 was far enough away, V3 being the phase inverter. So it's not really prone to those problems, and even further away. Didn't need a shield.
Mesa amps are different, as is the JVM. Where traditional amps cascade one side of a preamp valve into the other side of the same valve at most. Then use V2 to power the eq section. The JVM and MarkV cascade that first stage many times into different halves of different valves. To achieve that high gain sound. So need a lot of shielding to keep out those external interferences.

Mine does it and I took it to the shop yesterday. We swapped out the first 3 preamp tubes and it helped a whole lot.

The sound is there faintly but the tube swap took out some associated woofyness. It's most prominent on my telecaster, especially if I'm fingerpicking and pop the string. It's almost as if the gain has trouble tracking the note or something. I'm learning to control it with picking technique.

If I did not mention it before (if I did, sorry for repeating): One major contributor to noise which is common on 1x12 combo, most 412 cabinets and the some 2x12 cabinets is the grill. I literally had to remove the grill on my combo and stick on foam pads to reduce vibration noise that seemed to occur on some notes. With my 2x12 RA Combo I had to add fiberglass reinforcement to the grill as the inner frame was vibrating terribly ( apparently the original owner changed the grill cloth from the cream and black to all black which left the insert on the loose side). Also added foam pads to reduce any chance of vibration occurring between the baffle and the grill frame. My 412 recto cab old and new have similar issue but cured that in the old one. The new one has never been opened yet so I will hold off modifications to that cab (I get a buzz from the D string when playing the lowest E note, does not seem to happen on the low E string though). I am uncertain if humidity has a role on grill cloth tightness, it may as my grill cloth on the new 412 seems a bit loose, it was tight when I got it.

Back