Still Lovin' my Deuce II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdriver

Reaction score
I've had it for a while now. I keep her with a Recto 412 cab at home. But when I play out, I use a Marshall 1960 412 can with Celestion T75's in it. I really like the way this cab sounds, and its much easier to haul around than the beefy Recto cab. So, the Recto cab stays home and only gigs for special occasions - keeps it looking new too :)

The amp is a breeze to setup, and many functions are set it and forget it ( like Diodes and Bold/Spongy). They come in handy going back and forth from home (quiet). A few golden rules: This amp loves volume, but always try to keep the Output knobs at noon or above and use the channel Masters to compensate. This really opens up the amp - especially in a live situation. With a band - more treble is usually called for (like noon for me) however at home, its usually set much lower (8-9:00).

The head takes fx wonderfully, both in front, and thru the loop. I've simplified my live setup and just run a modest board thru the front of the amp, but leave the loop engaged to allow usage of the Solo switch.

I play mostly hard rock - sometimes approaching metal. I do not use an EQ in the loop, even though that is a popular technique. I find the lows and mids on this amp are right where I like them, coming from a Marshall fan like me. The amp can get plenty nasty and thumpin' especially at gig volume and with a 412 cab.

I do wish there was a way to switch the Fluid Drive on/off. Specifically, have Ch2 Tite Gain as my Channel 1, and then switch into the higher gain Fluid Drive for solos. I don't really need a jazzy clean sound. The head does admirably with cleans though. The Tite Gain where I run it (about 2:00) will clean up sufficiently for my needs with the guitar volume. This is not a large complaint however, and I am able to work around it with a boost in front of the amp.

Overall, I am very pleased. She is a keeper.

Very cool. I'm waiting for some of my gear to sell, so I can get the Ace (I just seem to like the "classic" sound of EL34 amps)...man it's a hard wait. Especially with the amp I do own in storage on the mainland...not the best decision I've ever made. :(

I'm trying to find a used Deuce II at a decent price myself...from everything I've read about it and everything I've learned about what I'm looking for, I think it would be just about the perfect amp for me.

The search continues...

nosajwp said:
I'm trying to find a used Deuce II at a decent price myself...from everything I've read about it and everything I've learned about what I'm looking for, I think it would be just about the perfect amp for me.

The search continues...

Don't give up! I did a nationwide search on CraigsList. Found a guy that had TWO of them, a Deuce I and II. He had the I for a while, and bought the Deuce II thinking it was going to be radically different. In his opinion, it wasn't so he kept the Stage I and sold the Stage II. Got it for $1000 even and it's BRAND NEW.

The deals are out there.

jetdriver said:
I do wish there was a way to switch the Fluid Drive on/off. Specifically, have Ch2 Tite Gain as my Channel 1, and then switch into the higher gain Fluid Drive for solos. I don't really need a jazzy clean sound. The head does admirably with cleans though. The Tite Gain where I run it (about 2:00) will clean up sufficiently for my needs with the guitar volume. This is not a large complaint however, and I am able to work around it with a boost in front of the amp.

Overall, I am very pleased. She is a keeper.

I use Ch2 Tite Gain as well. My OCD pedal is set to get that Fluid Drive saturation tone. What boost are you using?

Ace Boogie said:
I use Ch2 Tite Gain as well. My OCD pedal is set to get that Fluid Drive saturation tone. What boost are you using?

Well, I have an MI Audio Crunch Box, and a Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23 Boost. It different times, and with different amps, I've used each one. They're both great pedals. The CB is a great 'Marshall in a box' kind of pedal, and also works well as a boost. And the MK 4.23 is one of the best clean boost pedals ever made - it's that good :)

However, in an effort to clean up & simplify my board, I've stopped using them both. If I need a little extra juice, I have a compressor setting on my M9 that gives me a little extra zing. Simple as that.

I'm going to be selling the MI Audio Crunch Box and the MK 4.23 boost.

jetdriver said:
nosajwp said:

The search continues...

Don't give up! I did a nationwide search on CraigsList. Found a guy that had TWO of them, a Deuce I and II. He had the I for a while, and bought the Deuce II thinking it was going to be radically different. In his opinion, it wasn't so he kept the Stage I and sold the Stage II. Got it for $1000 even and it's BRAND NEW.

The deals are out there.

So you're the guy who bought this one before I had a chance too! :shock:

I actually just bought a Deuce II from a fellow here in the Boogie Classifieds. I had owned one about 2 years back, but I was not so wise then and got rid of it. I'm still really digging it. Believe it or not the cleans are to die for. Before I bought it I was looking at a Lonestar Classic, so I went to a Mesa shop and had 'em side by side... honestly, didn't notice much difference, so I knew I had to go with the Stiletto. I'm still not sure yet how to leave it dialed. I feel like I'm one of those guys who'll never really get it, but I'm really willing to try extra hard with this amp. Anybody got some good tones out theirs they wish to share their settings?

nosajwp said:
jetdriver said:
nosajwp said:

The search continues...

The deals are out there.

So you're the guy who bought this one before I had a chance too! :shock:

Guilty! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back