Still discovering new tones...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilla

Reaction score
I've had my mark v for almost 2 years now and in the last week I have "discovered" two new (to me) killer tones.

Tone 1: I recently got a new clean boost and was mucking around on channel 2 and I found that with the clean boost on and using edge mode I could get a great articulate medium-high gain tone that is perfect for detained rhythm playing. It still keeps all of that characteristic "urgency" of the edge mode, but with.... More edge :)

Tone 2: it's not so much a "new" tone: I discovered the preset eq. What I did in the past was use the graphic eq and then switch to the present and was disappointed because it always sounded dull and flat. What I did was I switched to preset mode before shutting down so the next practice I wouldn't even need to think about it and holy mother of god.... Where has this tone been all of my life??? In mk iv mode with gain at 12-1o'clock and optional clean boost I have THE mother of all high gain tones!

Now if only there was a way to switch between preset and sliders from the foot switch :D

I've always liked the presets. They're a little thinner and brighter than I think a lot of people want, but it's really punchy and the brighter tone sits really well when playing with other musicians.

I use the preset eq on channel two and the sliders on channel three. I rarely use either on channel one but its the preset eq if I use any.

I never liked the edge mode on ch 2 for the first year or so. Lately, my band has been playing songs that need a sharper crunch or a broken clean sound and I've been using ch. 2 in edge mode extensively. I have noticed that in our practice recordings, edge cuts better and sits better with the others. Not really digging it when I play alone but sounds great with a band.

Back