Stiletto Deuce - Pickup recommendation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good bridge pickup for a Les Paul that will work well with a Stage 1 Deuce?

I play mostly blues, rock, funk and some metal (more Sabbath type of stuff not nu metal/prog etc).

I've been looking into the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates but I've read quite a few reviews that say it has too much treble.

I'm looking for a PAF type of sound but thicker and a somewhat hotter output.

I'm also checking out the Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF and Tone Zone... anybody have any experience with these?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The Tone Zone is VERY bassy...I wouldn't recommend it for a les paul.

Thanks for the head up. I've been searching the net for reviews and I think I may end up going with the Virtual Hot PAF.

I have found the JB into a Stiletto is to bright, though it can be fixed in EQ.

The Stiletto is a hot amp, if you want it to sound fat go with a mid output humbucker.

I personally completely reject any notion that there is a pickup that will make a Les Paul into a Stiletto sing...I have 3 Les Pauls with 3 different types of bridge pickups (one has a Duncan CUstom, one has a Fralin 9K humbucker and the other has a custom rewound 11k Gibson pickup) they all sound very different but all work. The Fralin is my favorite.

It is about your voice on the guitar....lots of people think that the right pickup will make life better. Not really the case in, my opinion.

I have Burstbuckers in my LP Studio Mahogany. Any experience with those?

Rocky said:
I have found the JB into a Stiletto is to bright, though it can be fixed in EQ.

The Stiletto is a hot amp, if you want it to sound fat go with a mid output humbucker.

I personally completely reject any notion that there is a pickup that will make a Les Paul into a Stiletto sing...I have 3 Les Pauls with 3 different types of bridge pickups (one has a Duncan CUstom, one has a Fralin 9K humbucker and the other has a custom rewound 11k Gibson pickup) they all sound very different but all work. The Fralin is my favorite.

It is about your voice on the guitar....lots of people think that the right pickup will make life better. Not really the case in, my opinion.

Really? Mine sings beautifully with little to no volume or effort..

I haven't found a pick up in my arsenal that doesn't sing with the Ace. Some pickups need a little adjustment with the volume/tone knob to sing as well as the singiest :lol:

I have a '73 LP with Duncan 59s and a Joe Perry Boneyard LP with Burstbuckers . Both sound fantastic in the Deuce

Thanks for the input everybody - it's kind of a tough decision to make because I have no idea what type of pickups are in there now. They sound really good... just a little on the thin side but the main reason I am switching them out is because they are microphonic.

Well I ended up ordering a Custom Custom (Seymour) last night.

Hopefully it will do the trick I'll post again once I install it and give it a trial run.

I ended up canceling the order for the Custom Custom because I got an email saying it was on backorder.

Went to a local shop and ordered a Custom 5 per their suggestion. Just picked it up today I'll post a review once I get it installed.

:wink:

Well I got the pickup (Custom 5) in the guitar last night and I'm really happy with the sound so far. I'm able to get a really good sound out of the amp by just plugging the guitar in and setting all of the tone controls to noon which is exactly what I was looking for. It's a tad bassy on the clean channel but it's easily controlled. The old pickup (pretty sure it was a standard PAF) sounded good but it was a little thin sounding and had too much high end.

I'm using this pickup in an early 70's ******* Les Paul Deluxe with a Stiletto I into an early 70's Marshall cab loaded with Celestion white label 65s.

I figured I'd post the info just in case anybody with a similar setup is looking for a replacement pickup.

Latest posts

Back