Sozo caps and Mark IIB mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfman

Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing their coupler caps in their boogies? Any other amp tuning mods that might be worth trying? I dont want to change anything major, just want to play around with tone. Mike B at Boogie has already done the effects loop upgrade. I've played around with NOS Mullards and 12AT7s in the PI. 5157s in V1, etc.

I just wanted to go a bit further and play around inside a bit. I Play Teles and Strats through my boogie. There's a bit of a buzz about the Sozo caps. Lincolns too. Just wondering what I might want to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks-
-Murf

I don't see why the Sozo Blue Molded would not be a good choice. Cap's are funny.
Aluminum/PE/Mustards sound to me like a different breed in comparison to a Sprague 715P or 225P.
I have always kept to the basic rule or British circuit = Polyester film and American Circuits = Polypropylene or Polyester Sprague's.
To me, the Polyesters have a pleasant blur to the treble frequencies. The Polypropylene caps have some snap and sizzle.
Boogie always mixed types or just used what they had on hand, so I don't see it as a bad thing to experiment with Mustards, 715P or 225P.
You may just go mad mixing and matching to find the perfect sequence !!!

I have a late IIC+ that came with all but one Mallory polypropylene caps in the preamp. To be sincere, it has the clearest treble and most
gain of any IIC+ I have ever heard. With the preamp junction out to a power amp it is, to say the least bright, but Boogie had the common sense
to use two Sprague 225P's in the PI circuit and it has an incredible bluesy blur with the treble lowered a bit. My Fender guitars do seem to really favor
this amp and my Soldano SLO-100, another amp with all Mallory Orange Drops. They just come to life.

By all means, be careful. Those old Mesa PCB traces were not meant for multiple reworks, like most 1 oz. copper.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was thinking about the Sozo blues for the tweed Fender mojo...

I didn't know about the light traces in boogie boards. That seems so strange to me as the rest of the amp is built like a tank. I'll take it slow for sure.

-Murf

Rugman dot com has different sizes of fronts from very small circular rugs to 30 foot long runner rugs.

Latest posts

Back