Some homebuilt pictures

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chennie

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a link to this forum from a fellow dutch mesa owner from an other board, saying I have to post these pics on this board as well. Well, here goes:

I own a rect-o-verb II combo and like most of the mesa stuff or tube stuff, they're heavy! To get that up and down from and to the second floor (I thought that in America it is called the third floor)over a lousy stair; it drove me crazy and exhausted. Also a head has a lot more advantages over a combo for me. So I made a housing for the amp itself and making one really heavy thing in two little less heavy things. Literally I made from my combo a head, but I wanted to leave the combo total intact, so I still could go back to a combo.

Here are some pictures. I made these while it was dark, so I had to use the flash light of the camera. This gives some slight reflections and seemingly odities, but everything looks alright with my eyes.

Amp%20Mesa%20Recto.jpg

Recto10_web.jpg

Recto11_web.jpg

Recto08_web.jpg

Recto09_web.jpg

Recto13_web.jpg

Recto12_web.jpg

So.... call it a punk DIY attitude, call it a total lack of social live, call it obsessive college avoidance behavior, but I wanted to built a 2x12 cabinet. What santa doesn't give, you have to build it yourself =)

The sizes are Mesa's own 2x12 recto cab sizes. 17 1/2"x30 1/8" x 14 1/4". Birch plywood of BB/B grade. 18mm thick. The baffle is also birch of 18mm and locked/glued. Same construction as the rect-o-verb combo. Loaded with celestion V30's

I'm still going to place some piping and I'm thinking of airbrushing the speaker canvas. but that's just an idea I haven't worked out.

Recto02_web.jpg

Recto01_web.jpg

Recto03_web.jpg

Recto04_web.jpg

Recto05_web.jpg

Recto06_web.jpg

Recto07_web.jpg

Sometimes it's too bad that I couldn't find all the materials that Mesa is using, like the tauron tolex or the rabbit hat corners. Well it was possible but then I had to order them far abroad wich usualy implies that you have to wait a very long time deu to customs and taxes and so on.
But I like this look as well, so no problem.

The total setup:
Recto14_web.jpg

You can see that the "cabinet" in the middle was the original recto-verb combo. On the right you can see a les paul wich I also modified; a refinish job of an old epiphone goldtop. And because I'm already pimpin my *** of with my first topic here on this board, some pictures:

Retriever0.jpg

Retriever1.jpg

Retriever2.jpg

Retriever3.jpg

Retriever4.jpg

Retriever4b.jpg

Retriever5.jpg

Retriever6.jpg

Retriever7.jpg

In total this sounds hard! Everyone here knows how a Mesa Recto sounds, then through an oversized cab (leaving an cassis out makes it quite oversized) with black shadow (I've been told that they are relabeled celestion's classic lead) and a 2x12 oversized v30 cab sounds great. But I must admit that I don't have the experience of playing over a tons of other setups. But for now I can get a lot of sounds and tone out that suits me really well: mostly punk/hardcore/metal with a bit of blues and rockabilly.

I may take my Mark IV combo this same direction. I've really got to think this through if I really want to go there or not. Hate to give up the Imbuya wood though.

You really did a beautimous job on the Epi LP. Job well done.

Latest posts

Back