Some ElectraDyne Impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I had a chance to play an Electradyne head at Magdon Music in Scranton,PA this afternoon (BTW, they also have a MKV head and combo too, as well as a Mark IIC combo and a DC-5 combo - OK, commercial over :roll: ).

I played it through a 4x12 Mesa cab and a 2x12 open back Lonestar cab with my 89 Les Paul Custom. To my blown out ears, the cab/speakers will be important variables to consider, but I didn't ask about whether any Electradyne specific cabs were in the pipeline. The closed 4x12 cab gave some nice warmth to the clean voicing, which was quite similar to the Express 5:50 (as I remember it) and very closely approaching the Lonestar Classic clean with EL34s (which I own and use now). However, I still find the Lonestar's clean intangibly "better" (YMMV). On the 2x12 cab, the Electradyne clearly lost some of its clean warmth and bottom. Crunch (Low) voicing was excellent with the 4x12, but was "bottom heavy" (i.e. had to dial it back some). Again with the 2x12 it lost its bottom (i.e. had to dial in more). The crunch was my favorite voicing of the three. The Hi voicing was equally robust with the 4x12, but was "bottom heavy" too. Nothing major to sweat. Also, no one will be complaining about not having enough gain on the Hi voicing. Easily hits classic rock, hard rock, and beyond, but no nu-metal, L.O.G., Metallica, etc. or Recto territory. IMO, adding a pedal to it to try and get higher gain/Recto territory, misses the entire point of this amp. After playing it, I'm thinking that perhaps a 3/4 back cab might be the ideal box for this amp. I base this on my past experience using a 3/4 cab with a Roadster Head and as an extension speaker with a Heartbreaker Combo - I had both "open-ness and bottom". I would be curious about how it might sound with a Thiele and an open back 1x12 compact cab together. I remember that this was a great speaker combination when I owned the Express 5:50 and the MKIV. Overall, I think the Mesa folks have nailed the "easy to use and dial in rock and roll amp"!

OK, now the less than good news..........the relative channel levels between the voicings is poor, which was the deal breaker for me. Get a nice full clean setting, switch to one of the other voicings and you'll need to adjust things and vica versa. Most obvious when switching between Clean and Hi. However, I would swear that I read on this group that Mesa has a mod/fix in the works??? Ah, I found the link http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36924&start=0&hilit=Electra+Dyne+mod

However, for $1599, I would have expected Mesa to have had this issue taken care of before release (especially in light of such prior "ooopps" as the Roadster's footswitch cycling/popping issues, the Lonestar's reverb issue when switching channels, etc). :x Rant over.

Bottom line for me (and of course YMMV): Great sounding rock amp and kudos to Mesa for making it so player friendly and simple to use; but I'll still stick with my LSC running EL34s for now. However, if they get the level issue corrected, they will be selling them by the boatloads and you never know when GAS might strike me!!!!!!! Who knows, the Electradyne might even turn out to be the next IIC+ :wink: :lol:

If you have the chance, check one out. 8)

Matt

Just got my ED head. Had the new mod in it. Actually glad the first amp I got, the combo, was bad. This sucker is lighter and has the mod. Sometimes it's better to wait a month or two so they can identify this sort of thing. That said, Mesa is said to be stepping up and offering it to folks anyway. Good stuff. I can't think of many other products that do that.

Please let us know how well the mod works in terms of channel leveling. I'm having minor pain...could be GAS coming............ :mrgreen:

Matt

In a word...wow.

I didnt get a chance to get my original combo up to gig volume before the smoke. The wait for the head was worth it. It has the switch/knob that is the new "mod". I didnt understand the mod until I got the amp and the manual. It is a two part thing.

1) Gain trim- this is a switch that allows you to tweak in some gain limitations on one of the channels. It's like turning the volume back 3 clicks. 3 position switch.
2) Clean level-this is the balance control the mod refers to. It basically cuts into what the master on the front is doing-in regards to the clean channel. It can't boost the signal, they sort of work together. All the way clockwise-it is bypassed. Turn it back, and it's like turning the master down-except that it doesnt affect the other two settings, only the clean.

What a great amp. Got a ton of compliments. Spent 90% of my time in the vintage LO, 10% in clean and really didnt even get to HI. Plenty of gain, and TONS of tone in there. I was shocked at how much pick attack impacts volume.

I tried out an ED 2x12, but alas - it wasn't for me - too deep and heavy of bass and not enough mid focus.

Also tried the Mk5, which has an abundance of switches for different sounds, but I could only find a couple that worked. The Channel 2, Mk1 sound was simply awful, dark and muddled. The rest of the distortion tones were so mid-scooped that they would be difficult to use in a band setting. (Yes, the Graphic EQ was off)

Also tried a Lonestar Special on the 10W setting....now that's great tone ! The thing just had something going on that made it sound great - maybe it was the EL84's at the 10W setting...never really played an amp with the

I wish my Nomad sounded that good. Although I wouldn't give up the Nomad Ch3 to go to a 2 channel Lonestar.

BTW Anybody know what the tube lineup is on stock Lonestar Specials from the factory?

Tommy_G said:
I tried out an ED 2x12, but alas - it wasn't for me - too deep and heavy of bass and not enough mid focus.

Also tried the Mk5, which has an abundance of switches for different sounds, but I could only find a couple that worked. The Channel 2, Mk1 sound was simply awful, dark and muddled. The rest of the distortion tones were so mid-scooped that they would be difficult to use in a band setting. (Yes, the Graphic EQ was off)

Also tried a Lonestar Special on the 10W setting....now that's great tone ! The thing just had something going on that made it sound great - maybe it was the EL84's at the 10W setting...never really played an amp with the

I wish my Nomad sounded that good. Although I wouldn't give up the Nomad Ch3 to go to a 2 channel Lonestar.

BTW Anybody know what the tube lineup is on stock Lonestar Specials from the factory?
lol the mark 5 cuts right through a band mix man. I can easily overtake the drummer if i wanted to. Chan 2 takes the most tweaking time on the amp.

Tommy_G said:

...funny, the MK 1 setting is incredible..you have to set it up like a mK 1...traditional mk settings aint gonna get it...certainly can be "awful" when not properly dialed up
:)

Latest posts

Back