solution for buzzy rectos?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyster

Reaction score
Getting rid of the BUZZ?

I think I have a simple solution for reducing or eliminating the typical recto buzz, with the kind help of our buddies at JJ's. Of course the usual disclaimers apply (if you **** up your amp don't blame us!!), but JJ's didn't think this would harm the amp in any way. We'll see! :wink: I've only tried this fix for one day now and I am still assessing it but so far so good - both tone-wise and amp-operation-wise.

Put a ECC81 (or 12AT7, same tube), in third preamp tube position V3 on the DR Roadster - best placement for the tube may vary per amp obviously. V3 on the roadster is responsible for:
V3A Fourth gain stage, CH3 & 4
V3B Tone stack driver CH3 & 4
Channel 3 & 4 are the "high gain" channels.

The 12AT7 is a much lower gain tube than the 12AX7 (40% lower gain), so this reduction seems to all but eliminate the buzz in Channels 3 & 4, while still maintaining excellent tone (especially when using "spongy" and 50W setting on the DR Roadster - and by the way I am using EL34s most of the time, not 6L6s).

You could go further and add another 12AT7 in V2, but when I did this it reduced gain too much and tone seemed to suffer.

Although this "V3 fix" does reduce the amount of total gain you can get there is still plenty to go around IMHO, at least for my purposes. Although, JJ's was surprised to have someone asking them how to actually REDUCE the gain from the amp - usually people want more more more.

If you are one of these dudes who likes everything dimed, this fix may not be for you! :wink:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this.

Much of the cause of "buzziness" IMHO can be attributed to the placement of the Presence control! To me, the buzziness is not a cause or affect of the tubes, but rather an inherent product of chosen frequencies and they're placement in the tone stack! Different tubes may lessen that affect, sort of a band-aid, but at the cost of something else! Using the presence and other controls with common sense should yield desirable results!

Thanks! I respect your opinions especially jbird as a seasoned veteran around the forum!

I usually use treble at reasonable levels and presence very low but I guess I'm picky. I still think this change I made has helped anyway.

JJ tubes....

Seriously, I just popped in a quad of JJ 6L6s yesterday, and it really cleaned things up.

They are running hotter, closer to where they should be, and it is definitely helping!

I'm liking it!

Latest posts

Back